Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so this is pretty much the only trail I have rode since getting my new bike. If you know where I am talking about they are down by the river...we park at the lot right off of Powers Ferry Road next to 285...

I always start with a few laps on the gravel walking path then we venture up the hiking/biking trail.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he has done "Eco-Challenge" type events and has a lot of time on a MTB...

Anyway...he said the Hooch trails actually have some pretty technical sections...and I wanted to get other folks thoughts. I wondered if he was talking about some different trails than where I was telling him...

If anyone has been on these trails there is a section with a pretty scary (to a newbie) downhill and then a climb with so many roots and rocks I was amazed...

·
Go make a difference
1,247 Posts
Actually, the trails that are "legal" can be debated and are everyday in this area. There are trailheads that are not posted. The maps are almost 15 years old and only show bikes at the parking lots. So if you go by the maps, then we're only allowed to ride circles in the parking lots!

I've been riding Sope Creek since '95, when we almost totally got kicked out of there, so I've been around for all the access debates and I've spent some time talking with the rangers at work days about it. Until someone with money incorporates a trail project that includes much better signage and trail work, this will always be a debate. Bottom line, don't ride posted trails. Slow down for other trail users. Yield to climbers. Basic trail ettiquete is always a good place to start!

Maybe I'll see ya out there sometime. I've been sick for the last month so I've not been riding, but one day soon I'll be back with a vengance. I do get out there to walk my dogs, though, so stop me if you see me. I have two large white Great Pyrenees so I'm easy to spot!

·
dirty trail dog
600 Posts
Sounds like it's not even worth the effort. I'd rather drive a little further out and hit Big Creek or Blankets. Or even Chicopee or Gainesville College. Better to spend a half hour extra in the car than to try and do battle with runners, dog walkers, and hikers who think you're trespassing.

What's funny is that some Atlanta-centric magazine recently did a best of issue, and they had Sope Creek as the 2nd best MTB trail, behind Conyers. You know what was 3rd? Silver Comet. Yeah, that's what I think about when I want to go mountain biking. What a joke.

·
Go make a difference
1,247 Posts
Don't quick judge the place. The other trail users aren't typically bad. Plus, there's about 13 miles of trails there that if you can clean it all, you're on your game. My goal when I go ride there is to be able to clean it all -- it's super rocky and technical and the climbs are tough. You should meet me out there and see for yourself. This is a good time of year to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.