Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing an X-Type external bearing bottom bracket in my Phil Wood EBB. Should it be chased and faced before I install the BB or is it not required because the EBB was machined and never welded/heated causing deformities? I don't want to trash the cranks because of improper set-up, but if a trip to the shop isn't necessary it would be great.
I didn't chase/face before I installed this XT BB.

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
switching to raceface, are we?

i am curious about the answer, as well. as i have a phil wood coming soon.

i would guess that it is fine.
Um yeah, I thought I had a pretty good reason to try 'em being that Race Face is paying for my trip to the Trans Rockies.
I actually had the Deus when they first came out. The early ones had problems and mine did too. Unfortunately I bought them off Ebay, so I was in a no receipt/no warranty situation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not a Phil, but my Bushnell EBB and my Rig EBB's did not need chasing with multiple BB changes over a few years (the Rig was used and it went in perfectly).

I would give it a try first. You can bet the Phil has a higher quality thread and tighter tolerances than the stuff I have worked with.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No need to chase/face but it would not hurt to clean the threads with a small wire brush to remove any machine residue then apply alot of lube (I like the red stuff like Bulls Eye)and thread the BB cup in by hand for the first few turns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.