Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to throw this out there, and get any feedback possilbe. The company I work for is pursuing a project in Charlottesville, VA. They have a good chance of getting it, and if so will be looking at staffing it - it would probably be about a 2 year deal. I was thinking about showing interest in it, but wanted to get a sense of what the area is like - as far as MTB'ing is concerned, since biking is my main recreational activity - try to ride every weekend during summer/fall.

I'm residing in central WI right now, and have lived in the St. Louis area as well as mid-coast Maine - so I've seen some diversity.

What I'd like to know is what if any trails exist in a 2hr. drive radius, and what types of trails are out there. I prefer a good mix, leaning more towards tight technical stuff. I see Charlottesville is in/near a 'mountainous' area. I've never really ridden in that type of topography, so that would be cool. I've only read about that type of riding.

Thanks for any information.

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
Check out the MTBR trail reviews for: (Walnut Creek, O'hill, Panorama 0-15 min), (Sherando 30-45 min), (Douthat 2 hours), anything near Harrisonburg(1hour), or anything in (Richmond 1hour).

CAMBC has weekly ride night rides and people are constantly getting together for various rides. Good mtb and road scene.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

Thanks for the info. guys. Nice to know what's up in that area of the country. I checked some of the sites out - definitely some good trails in reasonable drive distance.

Like I said, just doing a little research for future possibilities.

·
255 Posts
wi1trackrider said:
Thanks for the info. guys. Nice to know what's up in that area of the country. I checked some of the sites out - definitely some good trails in reasonable drive distance.

Like I said, just doing a little research for future possibilities.

I'm only passing through C-ville for law school, but I wish i could stay longer.

The local scene is strong. There is an active local club and plenty of places to ride - from O-hill, which is right in town and good for hard after-work rides, to Walnut Creek, which has lots of great technical and open singletrack, to Sherando. The latter two are 15 and 30 minutes from town, respecitvely. As others mentioned, there are more great trails within a two-hour radius.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I grew up 50 minutes from C'ville, and I currently attend UVA... so I'm pretty familiar with the trails in the area... All the above trails mentioned are pretty good, and there also is the Rivanna Trail--kinda encircles the city--so you obviously have a few hike a bike sections and road crossings--all together it's not that bad. There's tons of other trails in the area that not many people are familiar with, especially the trails looping around STAB and the old folks home behind it.

So yea, there are plenty of trails in the area...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts