Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the Charger 2.1 damper conversion upgrade on my Yari last year. Everything I read or watched showed using an 8mm crush washer on the damper side. It is half the size of what it needs to be and constantly leaks oil. I was trying to find the actual flat washer they use on a Lyrik. It is impossible to find. I’m about to give up and just buy a Fox if I can’t find that washer to stop the leak. Any suggestions? I asked the bike shop and he laughed saying he can’t get that part.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you want the broad washer you'll have to buy the entire rebound knob it - 11.4018.082.004.

Camera accessory Auto part Audio equipment Font Gas

However, the standard crush washers posted above works fine, it sits in that groove and crushes down to provide an effective seal.

Some people are unaware of proper torque on these and either under-torque or completely destroy the washer by going King Kong on the fastener.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You mean one of these?

I think Paulsmith means the new version crush washer like in the photo.
I did the Charger 2.1 damper conversion upgrade on my Yari last year. Everything I read or watched showed using an 8mm crush washer on the damper side. It is half the size of what it needs to be and constantly leaks oil. I was trying to find the actual flat washer they use on a Lyrik. It is impossible to find. I'm about to give up and just buy a Fox if I can't find that washer to stop the leak. Any suggestions? I asked the bike shop and he laughed saying he can't get that part.
Check this thread out.

Either style washer apparently works. I got one of the new style washers in my last service kit. But I still used the old style and haven't had any leaks.

Are you torquing up the foot bolt correctly?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Paulsmith means the new version crush washer like in the photo. Check this thread out.

Either style washer apparently works. I got one of the new style washers in my last service kit. But I still used the old style and haven't had any leaks.

Yes, that is what I need! Can't find it anywhere

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Paulsmith means the new version crush washer like in the photo. Check this thread out.

Yes, I've torqued re-torqued and it doesn't matter. It's fine for a couple rides and then it leaks like crazy from the crush washer. I'm thinking the lower on the Yari is slightly different and that's why the crush washer doesn't seat right. But once again you can't find a Lyrik crush washer anywhere

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
i thought crush washers were only to be used once.

buy a few from the lbs and retorque. i hope we dont have a friction fit seal. if we do its not going to last long.

i did the same upgrade and the first year no leaks. but the second service i didnt replace the washers and both sides are leaking a bit.

third times a charm i guess as im soon about to do another service.

....now where did i out those washers again?

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Yes, I've torqued re-torqued and it doesn't matter. It's fine for a couple rides and then it leaks like crazy from the crush washer. I'm thinking the lower on the Yari is slightly different and that's why the crush washer doesn't seat right. But once again you can't find a Lyrik crush washer anywhere
The lyrik lower is identical, you can use that foot bolt with either crush washer in just about any rockshox fork just fine.

I've not seen a leaking Charger damper from the rebound shaft from what I recall, but it is common for people to pour bath oil down the rod which will then leak out during use

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
i thought crush washers were only to be used once.
If they are clean and not deformed they can be reused with no dramas at all. I can only think of seeing a couple of leaking crush washers in recent years and they were caused by mistakes on install, as opposed to being re-used or anything else

Has the OP tried any new crush washer at all?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If they are clean and not deformed they can be reused with no dramas at all. I can only think of seeing a couple of leaking crush washers in recent years and they were caused by mistakes on install, as opposed to being re-used or anything else

your correct, my bolts were also loose, when i noticed the leak, and needed to be torqued again. so i am somewhat at fault

but crush washers are named for the fact that they are single use and crush/deform after first install.

which is what the service instructions call for.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yes I have a bag of 100 of them. I've tried new washers to no avail. The 8mm crush washer that is available looks nothing like the wide one used on the Lyrik. I cannot "reuse the old crush washer" either because I have a Yari and the bolt is different from the one that comes on the Charger Damper.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,674 Posts
Tuned in.

I drop the lowers on all my RS forks often. For years I worried about the large flanged crush washer on the rebound side, but never had an issue with reusing it. Never could find replacements. Got a big bag of the smaller washers for the air spring side though. Wonder if they’d work for the rebound side?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Tuned in.

I drop the lowers on all my RS forks often. For years I worried about the large flanged crush washer on the rebound side, but never had an issue with reusing it. Never could find replacements. Got a big bag of the smaller washers for the air spring side though. Wonder if they'd work for the rebound side?
Last service I did on my RS fork I used a standard 8mm crush washer. The big washer was in the kit, but didn't bother with it.

I think that sometimes the "leaking" oil can be attributed to people pouring the lower leg lube into the threaded bottom on the damper shaft. It then leaks out past the threads.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.