Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’ve just fitted a new Lyrik Ultimate with Charger 2.1 damper but have noticed the low and high speed compression adjustments make absolutely no difference. The rebound knob doesn’t do a huge amount either.

I don’t really want to return for warranty as they are from Germany and the process is likely to take weeks.

Is there anything I can try myself? I have a bleed kit so could try this.

Any thoughts please.

James

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,

I’ve just fitted a new Lyrik Ultimate with Charger 2.1 damper but have noticed the low and high speed compression adjustments make absolutely no difference. The rebound knob doesn’t do a huge amount either.

I don’t really want to return for warranty as they are from Germany and the process is likely to take weeks.

Any thoughts please.

James
I think I have the same problem. Hope someone here can answer. My HSC dial spins out. I can spin it infinite number of times. Round and round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Hi,

Any thoughts please.

James
I had to bleed mine after one ride. Dampening was odd and noisy. So, bleed it.
It's easy to bleed with the bleed kit. It's also easy to remove just the damper since it only attaches at the top and bottom.

That resolved my dampening issues. While my rebound works, it's a tad noisey. It makes a wooosh sound when rebounding fast. It sounds like oil with a tad of air squirting through holes in the circuit. Another bleed 😕

Reactions: macperc

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,597 Posts
Needs new seals, likely the seal at the bottom of the cartridge. That and a bleed.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The stock tune is incredibly soft so it is hard to feel any difference anyway. If you pull the damper out and wind all the knobs closed you should feel a difference though.

How much do you weigh? If you’re over about 90kg you will struggle to feel any difference for sure.

I don’t recommend attempting to service it yourself, Rockshox are typically pretty reliable with their assembly and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that had enough air in it to impact the damping in any significant way.

Sorry but with those dampers there is no real service parts so if it’s a new fork I strongly recommend you just suck it up and send back to Rockshox who will take care of you. It might be slow at the moment, but it’s still better than fucking around with it until you get frustrated and finally send it to RS, where a pissed off warranty tech has to figure out if there was an actual fault or if it’s just been messed up by attempting a fix you read on the internet. Who then has to break the news that they just used the last damper yesterday and no more are due until 2023! (*I dont know the current state of damper availability in Europe but with the current climate parts are drying up rapidly so you are best to sort anything NOW while you still can)

I think I have the same problem. Hope someone here can answer. My HSC dial spins out. I can spin it infinite number of times. Round and round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As far as I know there is no way for that to happen unless something has broken inside the cartridge so the only way to fix it is a new damper. Send it back to sram and cross your fingers it will be a warranty!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to bleed mine after one ride. Dampening was odd and noisy. So, bleed it.
It's easy to bleed with the bleed kit. It's also easy to remove just the damper since it only attaches at the top and bottom.

That resolved my dampening issues. While my rebound works, it's a tad noisey. It makes a wooosh sound when rebounding fast. It sounds like oil with a tad of air squirting through holes in the circuit. Another bleed 😕
That sounds very familiar, I have a similar noise but how do you know it’s coming from the rebound?

The stock tune is incredibly soft so it is hard to feel any difference anyway. If you pull the damper out and wind all the knobs closed you should feel a difference though.

How much do you weigh? If you’re over about 90kg you will struggle to feel any difference for sure.

I don’t recommend attempting to service it yourself, Rockshox are typically pretty reliable with their assembly and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that had enough air in it to impact the damping in any significant way.

Sorry but with those dampers there is no real service parts so if it’s a new fork I strongly recommend you just suck it up and send back to Rockshox who will take care of you. It might be slow at the moment, but it’s still better than fucking around with it until you get frustrated and finally send it to RS, where a pissed off warranty tech has to figure out if there was an actual fault or if it’s just been messed up by attempting a fix you read on the internet. Who then has to break the news that they just used the last damper yesterday and no more are due until 2023! (*I dont know the current state of damper availability in Europe but with the current climate parts are drying up rapidly so you are best to sort anything NOW while you still can)

I’m only 70kg max and feel no difference at all with both compression knobs maxed. This is probably sage advice, as much as I don’t want the hassle of a return. I’m certainly not going to start tinkering, maybe a bleed at the most.

Have you got no damping or just not much?

Not much compression damping is how those run. Comically soft. But rebound should have enough range for you.
Just no adjustment using the LSC/HSC knobs, turning them makes no difference. The rebound knob adjustment goes from fast to very fast, not much range at all compared to my previous Xfusion Metric.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
i have a charger 2 rc2. have bled it several times. it should be silent.

a gentle pull on the syringe during bleed will remove air within the fluid. cycle and repeat until its perfectly silent.

imo you wont feel hsc in the parking lot.
lsc should be noticeable.

note the older charger 2 rc2 was flawed in that there was variable lsc adjust with hsc adjust

ie. closed hsc. meant full lsc adjustment. but wide open hsc meant little to no lsc adjust

others can tell you about the 2.1 version but i heard its a very light tune.

change the fluid if your not happy w damping characteristics.

see wpl fluid charts for reference.

there is also a full rebuild kit available with all seals etc for the cartridge.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
That's shim noise and totally normal. If you don't hear it the damper either isn't opening shims or is running really thick oil to keep it quiet.

OP may still have a good damper but not be used the operating range of it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just to sort this "it doesn't do anything" tales, on my 2.1rc2 I can feel every click of LSC and HSC when riding fast on rough trails, but near no difference in the parking lot.

I dont want to say the compression damping is super refined, but it works ok (as opposed to the 2rc I had before).

My current setup is 1-2clicks HSC from closed and about 12-14clicks LSC from closed, no tokens, 85psi, 170mm, 93kgs. If the rebound is too slow, it makes noises.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to sort this "it doesn't do anything" tales, on my 2.1rc2 I can feel every click of LSC and HSC when riding fast on rough trails, but near no difference in the parking lot.

I dont want to say the compression damping is super refined, but it works ok (as opposed to the 2rc I had before).

My current setup is 1-2clicks HSC from closed and about 12-14clicks LSC from closed, no tokens, 85psi, 170mm, 93kgs. If the rebound is too slow, it makes noises.
From my experience with other forks, full LSC adjustment would give a nearly locked out fork. I might use this when riding on the road, pedalling up lots of hills. Are you saying the compression damping is so low that the LSC adjustment is only noticeable mid trail?

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
From my experience with other forks, full LSC adjustment would give a nearly locked out fork. I might use this when riding on the road, pedalling up lots of hills. Are you saying the compression damping is so low that the LSC adjustment is only noticeable mid trail?
If a damper goes to lockout then it's a XC lockout damper and they suck in rough terrain.
Dampers that work properly have a set range that is where you need it but will never feel like a lockout or have rebound go superslow.
The Charger RC2 is further on the soft side than it should be.

Seems to me like this is more a damper not fitting with your past experiences than a damper having problems.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I needed to upgrade the MoCo on my HT running 140mm 2020 Revelation as my hands became pretty sore using that damper. Used to the 2.1 in my Lyrik Ult but opted for a custom tune at Novyparts for half the price and changing to 10wt oil.
First runs I thought I was over damped but I was comparing it to my Lyrik. But NOW i'm having difficulties picking which fork I like the most. That Novyparts Splug damper, 0 tokens and 22% sag is just SO SO supportive and no more sore hands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If a damper goes to lockout then it's a XC lockout damper and they suck in rough terrain.
Dampers that work properly have a set range that is where you need it but will never feel like a lockout or have rebound go superslow.

Seems to me like this is more a damper not fitting with your past experiences than a damper having problems.
Thanks, what you’re saying makes a lot of sense, I was just expecting similar damping to my previous Xfusion Metric with Roughcut damper. It was a fairly serious 36mm enduro fork but I guess different technology.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts

Agree that parking lot testing won’t show what those nifty compression dials do.

I have a hard time telling between a click or so but more than that, like you said when riding fast on a rough trail, I can tell.

Im extremely happy with my 2.1 Lyric and Pike. Weigh 170#.

Both are run with LSC at 1/2 to 1/3 from full closed. HSC I will run 1 to 2 clicks from full closed. In short, pretty far from full open. Relatively firm on the compression, for RS. I find that if I do not run LSC at least half closed I can’t get the HSC to kick in.

Rebound about midpoint.

Spacers. zero , rarely 1.

PSI, about 5 to 7 psi above/beyond the high range number. Gives me barely 15% sag in the attack position.

Tire pressure on a 2.4 dhrii exo 3c 120 tip, 25f 27r.

I also drop the lowers quite often and change the oil and foam rings.

If I’m fit and riding hard that set up feels great. It’s not a “comfortable, plush“ ride but it sure is fun a lets me push the bike pretty hard. A good balance between traction and support.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Can I just ask you straight up, at 90kg, what settings would you use on stock RC2.1 with a B1 spring (knowing that you'll still say this is still going to feel too soft for you, but it's as good of a setting as you can get under the circumstances)?

·
Registered
280 Posts
@tastik

For what it's worth here's my Lyrik Ultimate RC2 B1 settings at 97kg.

20% sag with 115psi
0 Tokens
+5 click rebound from slowest
0 click HSC (full open)
+4 click LSC from fully open

·
Registered
7 Posts
@tastik

For what it's worth here's my Lyrik Ultimate RC2 B1 settings at 97kg.

20% sag with 115psi
0 Tokens
+5 click rebound from slowest
0 click HSC (full open)
+4 click LSC from fully open
These settings are typical of what I see suggested online. Just wondering because if the compression being weak is an issue, I would expect more people to say they crank the LSC all the way firm.

·
Registered
280 Posts
These settings are typical of what I see suggested online. Just wondering because if the compression being weak is an issue, I would expect more people to say they crank the LSC all the way firm.
Well i've landed on the 20% sag mark as an increased spring rate giving some extra support. Then I can back off the LSC. Also it makes the fork feel a bit more liniar with zero Tokens and less sag than normaly suggested.
Now the fork behaves more predictable than before when I ran 2 Tokens and was about 25% sag.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Can I just ask you straight up, at 90kg, what settings would you use on stock RC2.1 with a B1 spring (knowing that you'll still say this is still going to feel too soft for you, but it's as good of a setting as you can get under the circumstances)?
You're going to be 80-90psi, HSC in the middle and LSC as much as you can stand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts