Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It only took a couple of spins on my Chap to realize that I was a bonehead for making a "trailbike" out of it.

So... back to the laboratory with it I went and here's the results (before and afters below).

New schtuff:
- Z150
- Azonic A frames
- e13 bash
- 24T Stainless Blackspire granny, 36T Blackspire middle
- Heim 3 Guide (not installed yet)
- 75mm Shorty stem
- WTB Power V saddle

Now I get to build up a HT out of the spares.
Muh Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There Ya go....

Ya, I think alot of made the mistake of... "I'm going to build it as a trail bike cause I won't do any drops over 4 or 5 feet"... then after riding the sweet new ride a few times.. you begin to realize with the right bike EVERYTHING starts to seem a little smaller.

I haven't talked to you since you threw the Z150 on it... how's that treating you? And great call with the shorter stem!!!!

I just had to switch out the wheels on my Scream.. my Deemaxes were toast... I scored a pair of Mag 30's w/ Ringle hubs ... What a difference!

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KillingtonVT said:
Ya, I think alot of made the mistake of... "I'm going to build it as a trail bike cause I won't do any drops over 4 or 5 feet"... then after riding the sweet new ride a few times.. you begin to realize with the right bike EVERYTHING starts to seem a little smaller.

I haven't talked to you since you threw the Z150 on it... how's that treating you? And great call with the shorter stem!!!!

I just had to switch out the wheels on my Scream.. my Deemaxes were toast... I scored a pair of Mag 30's w/ Ringle hubs ... What a difference!
That's funny, cuz that's exactly how I was thinking.

The Z150 rules. What I difference on this bike. The Z1 was good but o man the Z150 es mucho bueno.

Between the 75mm stem & taller fork, I don't feel like I'm gonna constantly nosedive while dropping stuff. Front end kinda takes care of itself now.

Hey, lemme see some updated shots of that Scream o yours. That thing is killa.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weyvoless said:
Throw some decent rubber on that thing, and you will approach perfection.
Suggestions?

Keep in mind, here in the East, it isn't so dry and hardpack like you Cali boyz are used to.

One day damp, next day dry, day after that, complete muck.

The Moto 2.4's have been good all arounders, but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Removed at birth
595 Posts
Yeah. If you want to keep your rubber on the lighter side, try out some Specialized Roller RS, in either the 2.3, or 2.4. The knobs are deep, and the rubber is sticky. Currently I run a Panaracer FR 2.4 on the front, and a Roller RS 2.3 on the back of my 2004 Heckler. This combo has been awesome! I am thinking about running a Roller RS 2.4 on the front too, just because the rubber compound grips better than the Panaracer.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
e<i>o said:
It only took a couple of spins on my Chap to realize that I was a bonehead for making a "trailbike" out of it.

So... back to the laboratory with it I went and here's the results (before and afters below).

New schtuff:
- Z150
- Azonic A frames
- e13 bash
- 24T Stainless Blackspire granny, 36T Blackspire middle
- Heim 3 Guide (not installed yet)
- 75mm Shorty stem
- WTB Power V saddle
I don't get it. why did you switch the saddle, and why did you decide it was wrong before? sounds like you really just wanted to buy a HT frame and needed some extra parts.

my "trailbike" is set up like your Chapparal is now, but has a Z1 instead of Z150 and Mallet pedals instead of A Frames.

who gets to decide what is "trailbike" setup anyway? now I'm confused.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
e<i>o said:
Suggestions?

Keep in mind, here in the East, it isn't so dry and hardpack like you Cali boyz are used to.

One day damp, next day dry, day after that, complete muck.

The Moto 2.4's have been good all arounders, but I'm open to suggestions.
Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove combo in 2.35 rear, 2.5 front.

By the way, I'd bet that if you put some DH tires on the Chap BEFORE you swapped all those parts, you'd never have found that your first build wasn't sufficiently "burly".

DH tires transform even a spindly little XC hardtail into a trail eating machine.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
gonzostrike said:
I don't get it. why did you switch the saddle, and why did you decide it was wrong before? sounds like you really just wanted to buy a HT frame and needed some extra parts.

my "trailbike" is set up like your Chapparal is now, but has a Z1 instead of Z150 and Mallet pedals instead of A Frames.

who gets to decide what is "trailbike" setup anyway? now I'm confused.
Whoa! Down boy. Put away the guns.

"Trailbike" is relative and generic and probably means something different to everyone you ask.

My definition of "trailbike" is shorter(ish) travel fork (5"), longer stem, clipless pedals, triple rings, blah, blah, blah......

Now, my Chap is a little more gravity oriented I suppose (at least for Eastern riding). It feels more balanced pointing downward with the shorter cockpit and longer fork than it did before.

But, like I said it's all relative.
KillingVT considers his Scream to be a "trailbike". :D

Oh yeah, I crushed the original Laser V saddle in a crash. Ti is no match for my big ass.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weyvoless said:
Yeah. If you want to keep your rubber on the lighter side, try out some Specialized Roller RS, in either the 2.3, or 2.4. The knobs are deep, and the rubber is sticky. Currently I run a Panaracer FR 2.4 on the front, and a Roller RS 2.3 on the back of my 2004 Heckler. This combo has been awesome! I am thinking about running a Roller RS 2.4 on the front too, just because the rubber compound grips better than the Panaracer.
I used Panaracers for long time before I moved out West.
They worked well in our soft Eastern dirt/clay, but the Mojave desert ate those things alive and I haven't used them since. Those rocks ripped the knobs right off all the time.

Haven't tried the Specialized tires in a long time either. Heard some others say good things as well as yourself.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gonzostrike said:
Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove combo in 2.35 rear, 2.5 front.

By the way, I'd bet that if you put some DH tires on the Chap BEFORE you swapped all those parts, you'd never have found that your first build wasn't sufficiently "burly".

DH tires transform even a spindly little XC hardtail into a trail eating machine.
You may be partially right.
But, the geometry just didn't feel right as I headed over & off stuff.
The bike drops/falls better than before.

Besides, being 6'5" 225, burlier is good. I tend to smash the hell out of stuff.
See under my handle, it says "Anti-Smooth". :p

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CanadianHooligan said:
Thats a nice bike..So your going to buy a new HT frame to put the other parts on?What frame are you looking at?
Banshee Scirocco or Sinister Ridge.

I can't seem to decide.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sweet... I am liking your build up.. I run Kenda nevagal 2.6' on the front and Kenda Kollasals 24" 2.6s on the back.....traction galore... :) when you wear out those puppies you got on their now, you should give them a whirl... .. I just got back from Mt. Bromont a couple weeks ago... Fun fun!.. I've recently come across some money and was thinking...errr..... will be upgrading my fork from the Z1.FR ,was thinking of the super T ...your Z150 looks sweet on there too... 5-6 inches make that much of a differece? anyone know when the 7" Zoki single crown comes out?

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Felpur said:
5-6 inches make that much of a differece? anyone know when the 7" Zoki single crown comes out?
Believe it or not, yes.
But I don't think its the 1" of travel so much as its the fact that Z150 is an 1"+ taller than the Z1. Better balance between front and rear.

Heard the 7" Zoke SCs will be out in September, but that's heresay.

Oh yeah Felpur, I dig your Chap by the way.
It was one of the pics I came across when I was deciding what frame to go with.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I dont know if you ever have tried it by but try popping a 24" on the rear... it makes manuels, wheelies and anything that requires lifting the front a snap... it also gives you the same geometry as running a 7" duel crown.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Felpur said:
I dont know if you ever have tried it by but try popping a 24" on the rear... it makes manuels, wheelies and anything that requires lifting the front a snap... it also gives you the same geometry as running a 7" duel crown.
Never tried one. I'm interested though. Hmmmmm........

Don't give me any more ideas.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
e<i>o said:
Believe it or not, yes.
But I don't think its the 1" of travel so much as its the fact that Z150 is an 1"+ taller than the Z1. Better balance between front and rear.

Heard the 7" Zoke SCs will be out in September, but that's heresay.

Oh yeah Felpur, I dig your Chap by the way.
It was one of the pics I came across when I was deciding what frame to go with.
dont even sweat the new 66 man. its gonna have alloy stantions not steel and weigh a little less than the z150 and since its 888 style internals i doubt it has air assist. the z150 is uber stiff with steel and uber adjustable with the air assist (i would assume that in order to reap the most benefits from the spring/air/rebound mix the proper spring must be installed to achieve plush and progressive settings. the stock fork is just right for 160-185 lbs.) the new 66 is sick im sure, but the z150 in the hands of a decently skilled rider can bust pretty big. drop the eta to climb; add air to drop; release air to trail ride; adj rebound each time a little. a jack of all trades thats a little heavy on flat ground but pure butter off the lip or ledge on slope.

i rode a new z1 and the travel is way linear compared to the z150. even the super t seems to have like zero compression compared to the z150 (in the first 5 " of travel). the z150 is the ultimate hscv full oil bath fork.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts