Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used RS Tora 318 Solo Air. It is set up for 100mm travel, and it's a little tall for my Salsa Ala Carte frame. I believe that I can change the travel to 80mm by adding a spacer in the fork.

My question is, will adding the spacer actually shorten the axle to crown length or just shorten the travel? I've searched this forum and read the manuals, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

Thanks for your help.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Just how hard is it to adjust the travel? I haven't been able to find any info on RockShox's website, and I would like to increase mine from 100 to 130.

·
I win.
713 Posts
It's not too bad, I rebuilt my fork last weekend.
Here's a PDF outlining how to do it.

CLick!

I bought an aluminum turkey roasting pan for all the oil to spill out into. There won't be much oil to contend with unless you open up the damper side. Otherwise it's really not very messy. You may also want to pick up an oring kit and go ahead and replace those since you'll have your fork apart.

Service Kit

Good luck!

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Hey thanks! Just what I was looking for! It looks like it's going to take some time to go through all of that... I'm guessing I would need new oil?

Oh, and I'm sure the bike wasn't designed for that much travel. (GF Joshua F4) But, I'm not too worried about breaking it, and I imagine I will as I tend to break lots of things (I'm into weightlifting and I'm 6'2, 250 with a linebacker build. I can't for the life of me stand doing cardio in a gym, it is so redundant to run in place.) I do plan on purchasing a new bike shortly. I'm just waiting for Uncle Sam to give me some of my money back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
crisillo said:
yeah... when you shorten RS forks..the AC is reduced accordingly....
This answers a question I had too. I was thinking about increasing the travel on my Tora 318 from 80 to 100 mm. But I like the geometry the way it is.

Increasing the AC length will make the bike more stable downhill, but I don't want to sacrifice agility in my xc riding. Decisions, decisions :madman:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.