Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
use Pritt dye, its a hobby dye. Annodizing is an oxidation process done to aluminum, powdercoating requires the part be able to be statically charged to bond with the coating and then baked.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
matt said:
off the subject but that foes looks sick
Thanks, i just bought it off the classifieds. Im going to try to get the whole bike black. If ound someone in the denver area that will anodize the rear swingarm for 50 bux so all i had left was to get the mrp colored and zedro the all knowing just hooked it up

·
Registered
798 Posts
:: cough cough Spraypaint! cough cough:: why bother changing somthing for cosmetic reasons if it does nothing for the function? oh well...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Felpur said:
:: cough cough Spraypaint! cough cough:: why bother changing somthing for cosmetic reasons if it does nothing for the function? oh well...
well, anodizing is alot more durable than a crappy amature paint job. Plus anodizing helps protect the bearing/pivot bores and dropouts from wear and distortion.

·
Registered
798 Posts
zedro said:
well, anodizing is alot more durable than a crappy amature paint job. Plus anodizing helps protect the bearing/pivot bores and dropouts from wear and distortion.
WooHoo! sounds like a good reason to get it done then...:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hard annodizing

look in your local phone book for a place that can do hard annodizing. its way more durable than powdercoating. you can get cool colors like red and purple too!

seriously, hardcoating it the ticket. My guy here in Wisconsin will do an MRP for like $15-20. its very durable and a stealthy looking black. not glossy like powder coating. it kinda like dying the metal. I have three black MRP's and a few other parts too. dont forgetto get the hardware done too! they can even do and XTR grey color.

www.wisconsinhardcoat.com

ask for dennis

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Mr. Bil said:
look in your local phone book for a place that can do hard annodizing. its way more durable than powdercoating. you can get cool colors like red and purple too!

seriously, hardcoating it the ticket. My guy here in Wisconsin will do an MRP for like $15-20. its very durable and a stealthy looking black. not glossy like powder coating. it kinda like dying the metal. I have three black MRP's and a few other parts too. dont forgetto get the hardware done too! they can even do and XTR grey color.
do not get hard-annodizing, it is expensive and completly unecessary unless under a constant friction situation (like fork stanchions), otherwise it wont be noticibly more durable to preventing scratches, it cannot be colored (its a varying shade of grey depending on the batch), and can also reduce the fatigue life of the aluminum. It may also put your pivot bores out of tolerance. Just go with standard (type2) anodizing.

hardcoating doesnt mean anything...

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
Anodizing is the only way to go for that type of part. I am about to send a bunch more stuff to get anodized, including my brothers MRP. here are some current pics.
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=list&function=myphotos&photouserid=15619

since I broke my collarbone, I have time to mess with some stuff and i am bored. My LBS is tearing down my monster T and I am sending the lowers and the stanchion tubes to be anodized black. my fork will look like a giant 888 when finished. And I am re-powder coating the frame all black as well. so all black with gold bits will be the new look.

joel

anodizing is addictive.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
M1_joel said:
Anodizing is the only way to go for that type of part. I am about to send a bunch more stuff to get anodized, including my brothers MRP. here are some current pics.
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=list&function=myphotos&photouserid=15619

since I broke my collarbone, I have time to mess with some stuff and i am bored. My LBS is tearing down my monster T and I am sending the lowers and the stanchion tubes to be anodized black. my fork will look like a giant 888 when finished. And I am re-powder coating the frame all black as well. so all black with gold bits will be the new look.

joel

anodizing is addictive.
omg i'm soo dumb. I assumed he wanted to change the pulley color (cus this has been asked before) so i suggested the dye, not the actual metal guide which cant be simply dyed lol. Yeah, annodising is the best method

1 - 12 of 12 Posts