Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After test driving few 275 bikes the past weekends I got to the conclusion of updating my fork and shock in my carbine 26er. I got my new fork (pike 160) but I am having hard time deciding the rear shock. I am looking for the CCBD air CS, but I also noticed the rockshox monarch plus RC3. Does anyone have tried any of these shocks in the carbine?. Also I am confused about the size of the shock 200x55 or 200x57? does 2 mm makes any difference? I looked in rockshox web site and only they have the 200x57, it is the right size?

Thanks

Cesar

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have tried both on a 2013 medium carbine. Got a good deal on a 200x57 CCDBair cs - the normal size of shock needed for the bike. Put it on and it hits the frame. Called both cane creek and Intense and they said you do need the 200x55 to fit that frame, but its a special order direct from Cane Creek, so price jumped up compared to deal I got. Decided I didn't want to spend $700 and bought a 2014 monarch plus. Happy to say the 200x57 monarch plus fits without any issues what so ever.

Just put it on yesterday, so no rides yet, so can't comment on performance - however, just the ride down my driveway and stuff confirmed it at least doesn't blow thru its travel when set to wide open like my Fox float CTD would do when set to 25% sag. So its already an improvement in my opinion.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't mind asking you, where did you buy the shock from? also what fork do u have?

Cesar

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bought both from AEBike.com - they were very good about taking back the CCDBair, only cost me shipping back to them. Once the Monarch Plus was in stock, they sent me an email and I ordered right away, they have been tough to find in stock. - looks like Rockshox are about to update it again in May, so it could be hard to find 2014's.

Front fork is a 2013 Fox Float 34 CTD 160mm - Road that all last year and wasn't very impressed with it. Couldn't swing $1,000 for a new Pike, so I sent it to Push Industries and had them do their upgrade and service.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have hard time making my mind of which rear shock I want in my bike. I am wondering if I could fit the CCDBair 200x57, my bike is a large frame. Last night I install my new fork RS pike dual air, I am waiting for the weekend to ride and see how it feels. Thanks for you info ymiler996.

Cesar

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cesar

Just did a real ride (vs dropping off the curb around the neighborhood) on the monarch plus and it makes a big difference vs the Fox CTD unit. I was actually able to put the shock in the descend mode and didn't have to worry about it blowing thru the travel on minor drops (a foot or so) like the Fox would. I was able to do this with less air pressure in the can and set the sag at 30% vs 25 on the fox. Its nice to have a shock working as it should.

Either way, the Cane Creek or the Monarch is a worthy investment over the Fox unit, hell, a wad of chewed chewing gum incased in a slinky would work as well as the Fox unit.

Good luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear you are happy and enjoying for rear shock, I finally made my mind and ordered the CCDB air 200x55 for my bike. I have to wait 3 weeks, but i don't mind. Let you know as soon as i have it install in my bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts