Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike originally came with SRAM X0 shifters and rear derailleur, Shimano XT cranks and front derailleur and a SRAM hollowpin chain. Everything has worked well together - no problems. I just purchased an extra set of wheels and want to put a new cassette on it. FWIW, I have a brand new chain ready to go on also.

Should I just stick with another XT cassette, or would it be better to go with a SRAM 990 to compliment my shifters and rear derailleur?

If it matters, it si a 5" bike that I use for everything - endurance racing to all-mountain rides.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
makes absolutely no difference as far as compatability. I prefer shimano cassettes and cranks....sram deraileurs and shifters....and whipperman or kmc chains FWIW.

Most of what Sram is, they bought from other well established companies (where as shimano is pretty much a bottom up mfg . Some products they have had a very good influence on (rock shox), and others they should have left alone IMO (like sedis chains).

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,230 Posts
bauhaus said:
My bike originally came with SRAM X0 shifters and rear derailleur, Shimano XT cranks and front derailleur and a SRAM hollowpin chain. Everything has worked well together - no problems. I just purchased an extra set of wheels and want to put a new cassette on it. FWIW, I have a brand new chain ready to go on also.

Should I just stick with another XT cassette, or would it be better to go with a SRAM 990 to compliment my shifters and rear derailleur?

If it matters, it si a 5" bike that I use for everything - endurance racing to all-mountain rides.
Either cassette is compatible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.