Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got an Solo air lyric, and it's been fantastic.

However, it's time for it to go in for a service, and was wondering whether it's worth paying for a change to coil internals.

Has anyone ridden both, or have any idea whether it's worth it from a performance point of view? Do the coils sit up more? I have ridden (albeit it briefly) a friend's coil pikes and didn't really like the way they ramp up quickly in comparison to the almost endless feel of the travel on my coil lyrics. Is this due to the 20mm extra travel, or mainly due to the air spring?

I do kinda like the way they sit through their travel once in motion, but that's partly due to a slack head angle I have. With the u-turn twiddler it might be nice to run them at 150mm to see how the bike handles.

Cheers in advance.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
I have an Solo Air Totem and a Coil Lyrik... IMO the only "gotta have" feature on the Coil Lyrik is the reliable travel adjust. It's fun to fiddle with depending on terrain, and it also makes the fork a lot more versatile if you buy another type of frame that requires a longer/shorter fork. If I could get a Lyrik (or Totem for that matter) with an Air U-Turn system (instead of 2-Step), I think that would be pretty snazzy.

·
Is dang happy!
1,379 Posts
The coil on my pike is way too linear for hucking. I would stick with air if you weigh over a buckfifty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been told that the coil version would pick up better small bump compliance, but I'm pretty sure that my air version is the best I've ever ridden!

With the U-turn, do the spring rate characteristcs change with the change in travel?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Bug74 said:
I'm pretty sure that my air version is the best I've ever ridden!
Yup until you put a coil in it. But if you like the way the air performes then just leave it that way. As for me, I've had the 2 Step and coil and prefer the coil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scubapro, can you explain what it was about the coils that you preferred? I would be interested to know how different they actually feel on the go.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Bug74 said:
I have ridden (albeit it briefly) a friend's coil pikes and didn't really like the way they ramp up quickly in comparison to the almost endless feel of the travel on my coil lyrics. Is this due to the 20mm extra travel, or mainly due to the air spring?
Huh? You are talking about your friends coil pike and your coil lyric, so I would say there is no air spring to speak of in this situation.

Bug74 said:
I do kinda like the way they sit through their travel once in motion, but that's partly due to a slack head angle I have. With the u-turn twiddler it might be nice to run them at 150mm to see how the bike handles.

How do you plan to run a 140mm Pike at 150mm?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Bug74 said:
Scubapro, can you explain what it was about the coils that you preferred? I would be interested to know how different they actually feel on the go.
Noticeably better small bump compliance, does not use as much travel per given bump except on drops where I do use a little more travel, less finicky than air chambers, no spiking at the end of travel, better bump compliance at high speed and in rough, etc. Just your typical coil feel is what I'm saying. The biggest plus is getting rid of the issues I had with the air chambers causing harsh ride and loss of travel.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Bug74 said:
I have been told that the coil version would pick up better small bump compliance, but I'm pretty sure that my air version is the best I've ever ridden!

With the U-turn, do the spring rate characteristcs change with the change in travel?
Yes, the Lyrik has a slight increase in spring rate when UT travel is wound down.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Mr. Doom said:
The coil on my pike is way too linear for hucking. I would stick with air if you weigh over a buckfifty.
The pike is a LOOOOOONG way from a fork designed for 'hucking'.
I run a Lyric u-turn and have had great luck with it for lots of varied use. It has seen a day at whistler (160mm) a fair bit of trail riding with lots of fast 2-3 foot water bar/root drops (varied travel), some DJing (at 115mm) and lots of general jumping and such at the local 'flow park' (130ish mm). Bieng on the little bike, it does not really see anything bigger than about 10 ish foot to transition.

I have not had any problems with bottoming or lack of small bump compliance..keep in mind though that the damping in this fork is designed to be quite different than some others (kind of the opposite of typical marz). It has a great low speed adj with good adjustable transition to high speed. This allows lots of control of chassis movement/brake dive, but is also how the fork helps prevent b/o rather than the high internal pressures/little damping of typical marz.

The u-turn works by a 'nut' that threads down the spring itself...so when the fork is in a shorter travel, only a portion of the spring is active...creating a stiffer spring at shorter travel (exactly what should be done) to give the propper rate at the reduced travel settings.

oh..I am ~190 lbs

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If they are due for servicing then I would suggest that you try them again after they have had the work done.
The pike and Lyric are completely different beasts.
Stick to the Solo, if you like it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys

Thanks for all your input.

By the sounds of it, the coil has an even silkier ride quality, the issues that I've heard about them being 'travel hungry' i.e. going through their travel too easily is pretty unfounded.

I'm a pretty smooth rider (as well as a chicken!) so don't like doing anything too big. Biggest I would probably do is 6ft to transition, so most of it's time is spent on rough XC routes and the odd DH run (albeit slowly!).

Cheers fo input. Will have to make up my mind from here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts