Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, another lame tubeless sealant thread! Yes I did a search and didn't find much applicable info. So here's my dilemma. I've got 27.5x4.5 Barbagozi's on my Trek Farley. The lbs used Orange Seal and the last 2 times I've added Orange Seal, it has clogged in the bottle and in an injector so I've had to break the bead to get the stuff in the tires. I don't want to do that anymore so this time I'm changing to Stan's which has never been a problem in my regular bike.

I haven't added sealant since last April so when I started that process this week, I naturally discovered that the OS had dried up. The back tire had dried completely and has seemingly fused to the tire. The front still had some liquid and was also stuck but could be peeled off (a tedious task) bit by bit. Pics below. We've all been told not to mix sealant brands so ideally I'd like to remove all the OS before replacing with Stan's. But I'm lazy so I don't want to take hours to peel off the dried OS, which seems impossible on the back tire. So my question for you good people is can I simply add Stan's to the now dry OS which is coating the tires and no longer in liquid form? I've peeled about 1/3 of the front tire so far but can't even get any off of the back tire which is completely covered from the now rubberized OS. Here's the pics.

Back tire which has a nice, even coat of dry OS! Looks like spray on insulation!
Front tir
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Tread

·
Registered
46 Posts
I mix them all the time, even mix with that purple bontrager stuff. I believe as long as you are only mixing latex based sealants you will be fine. A couple other sealants on the market use different materials to work and probably should not be mixed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How old is your orange sealant to clog in the bottle? Have never experienced that. The valve has been plugged so I have used a drill bit and hand turned it in the valve to clean of the goo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet music to my ears people! Every time I've asked about mixing these brands at the local shops the answer was no! I believed them cuz most of them didn't even carry OS. The last bottles I used back in April must have been pretty old Sego. They were the last ones on the shelf and that shop doesn't carry OS anymore. I've had 6 years of no flats using Stan's on my Intense so I hope I'll have the same good fortune when I load up the fat tires tomorrow! Stan's has never clogged either and every shop has Stan's! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I changed to Schraeder Valves and a huge syringe. Pull the valve out and never had a problem even with Stan's Racing that has some serious fibers. Never mixed, though never had a flat except the time I put a 1/4" branch through the tire and out the cutouts. No chance of fixing that. Never tried Orange Seal, but like almost all projects it takes much more time thinking you don't want to do it, than actually do it.

Reactions: AndrewTO

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Just go thorn proof tubes for heavens sake! Stans dries to a hard buildup that can outweigh tubes and make the tires feel like 16 ply truck tires.

Stans has not treated the Mayor adequately nor has the stuff done nearly the job that OS has. Occasionally, I have to add some which is par for the course but have not had the issues that stans pouring through sidewalls causes.

Twice a year, I peel the sealant tube from my tires and reseal em. Then, the proper feel of the tire returns!

Ever used pipe cleaners in the valve stems? Y'oughtta try it. A common sundry is valve cores along with a core tool and pipe cleaners.

·
Registered
573 Posts
By not cleaning out that dried sealant, you're just spinning a lot of useless weight around.
i'm also thinking the solidified sealant could also prevent new sealant from sealing a cut should that cut happens under the solidfied sealant. Ideally, you want the fresh sealant circulating freely inside the tire, not over solidified sealant.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just go thorn proof tubes for heavens sake! Stans dries to a hard buildup that can outweigh tubes and make the tires feel like 16 ply truck tires.

Stans has not treated the Mayor adequately nor has the stuff done nearly the job that OS has. Occasionally, I have to add some which is par for the course but have not had the issues that stans pouring through sidewalls causes.

Twice a year, I peel the sealant tube from my tires and reseal em. Then, the proper feel of the tire returns!

Ever used pipe cleaners in the valve stems? Y'oughtta try it. A common sundry is valve cores along with a core tool and pipe cleaners.
ok what are pipe cleaners? and where to get?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys! After minimal consideration I think I'll do an experiment. Since I've already started the peeling process on the front tire (did another hour this morning; not very appealing:rolleyes:) I'm gonna finish that but leave the back tire as is with the dried OS. I know it adds a little weight but I've lost 15 lbs in the last 3 years so I can add some more build up and still be on the light side! I'll put Stan's in both and see which one leaks first. Neither tire leaked at all prior to this despite the OS drying out. I'll keep you informed on the results. Now back to more latex peeling! It's my penance for 7 months of sealant neglect!

·
Music & Bikes
1,619 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but couldn't find Subzero OS for this winter ( Always used that ) , so I got regular OS , I was thinking of putting some sort of anti freeze stuff , compatible with the stuff.

Anybody has a crazy home lab and did some tests ?
What antifreeze blends well with latex ?

Could got to -30°C regularly here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts