Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing from 8 speed to 9 speed on my Yukon. I already have an XT 9 spd derailleur and hub will work. Would just have to get new shifters, cassette and chain. My question is if I upgrade will I need new cranks or will my cranks work (Truvativ ISO Flow).

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,734 Posts
For All Practicle Purposes No

greernw said:
Ahh, so there is no difference in cranks for 8 or 9 speed drivetrains then?
You can use any crankset with any drivetrain. I use a 6/7 spd crankset on occasion with my 10 spd road drivetrain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, appreciate the info. That will save me from having to upgrade that when I move from 8 to 9 speed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
greernw said:
Ahh, so there is no difference in cranks for 8 or 9 speed drivetrains then?
The only differences are in the cassette, chain and shifters.

Cranks, chainrings, derailleurs and freehub are all 8/9 compatible.

·
Registered
857 Posts
JediSith said:
sorrry to say but 8 is the best. Very reliable.
It may be thicker but it also has more rotational mass.

I wish I had a year of 9-speed use under my belt to compare against my year of speed 8-speed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been reading some of the threads on people wanting to go to 9 speed from 8. I have Deore rear dérailleur with Alivio levers/shifters. If I want to go to 9 speeds could I just buy a cassette, chain, shifters, and levers? I also was looking at this kit from Greenfish:

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1902

I would just have to buy a set of brake levers. Thoughts?

·
Eat me.
111 Posts
Check to see that the freehub body is long enough to accept a 9-speed cassette. Sometimes the freehub body is only long enough to fit an 8-speed (an acera hub I have is like that).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have Deore disc hubs. Are they long enough for a 9 speed cassette?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,734 Posts
Really?

An 8 and 9 spd cassette are the same physical dimention. If an 8 fit a 9 would also fit.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So derailleurs are not #-speed specific? I'm thinking to get Deore but not sure if it will work with a 8-speed cassete/shifter. Shimano specs it for 9 speed drivetrain, but thinking about it all indexing is done by the shifter, so as long as I can adjust hi/low properly it should be fine?

Edit: hmm, may be not, depends on how much it moves with each shift and clearly spacing between sprockets is different between 8/9 speed

·
Registered
536 Posts
Valdemar said:
So derailleurs are not #-speed specific? I'm thinking to get Deore but not sure if it will work with a 8-speed cassete/shifter. Shimano specs it for 9 speed drivetrain, but thinking about it all indexing is done by the shifter, so as long as I can adjust hi/low properly it should be fine?

Edit: hmm, may be not, depends on how much it moves with each shift and clearly spacing between sprockets is different between 8/9 speed
Rear derailleurs are not speed specific. Fronts are sortof, but not currently in the MTB line (road is different). indexing and spacing is controlled entirely by the shifter. The Deore RD in fact is the exact same one as when Deore was 8spd, they only updated the shifters and cassette when Deore went 9spd.

You can in fact use a 9spd rear derailleur all the way back to 6spd SIS (Same goes for 10spd road RD's). The sole exception is 6-8spd Dura-Ace, which used a slightly different cable pull ratio and isn't compatible with anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts