Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my bike has 3 spacers on the steerer. I want to try it with maybe just 2 or even 1 spacer. Can I just remove one or two, or just put them on top of the stem? Will this cause anything funky to happen? Besides maybe looking odd? Also, if I decide I like it with only 1 or 2, can I leave it like that for a month or so, as I am looking at getting a new fork and do not want to cut the steerer on this one.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Go for it. That's a great way to test out different heights to see if something else is more comfortable. Many people just leave the extra top spacers on instead of cutting the steerer tube down (possible future resale value). Experiment away!

Cheers, Chris

EDIT: Just to clarify, unless you go for chopping down the steerer tube right away (not recommended), you do need to use all 3 spacers still - any mix of on top of or below the stem is OK. Well, probably not all 3 on top, but you never know I guess...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also be sure to tighten down the top bolt on the steerer before tightening down the stem onto the steerer tube. Otherwise it's your stem holding the fork onto the bike, which will cause there to be some play where you shouldn't have any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.