Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to move from a 32-20 to 32-18 setup. What will I need to do to the chain to allow the smaller cog? Any other considerations?
Thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
if you're stepping down, then you may be able to get away by just using your tensioner. If you're maxing on your your tensioner's range, then you'll need to take off a link. Can you give us more info on what bike, tensioner type etc.?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Wanting to move from a 32-20 to 32-18 setup. What will I need to do to the chain to allow the smaller cog? Any other considerations?
Thanks
I didn't do anything for my set up. I just swapped the 20t for an 18t, jumped on and rode.

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
what frame do you have? if you have a lot of room to move the axle position, you might be able to take out a link. but if you do that and decide in the near future that you want your 20t back on there, you will need to somehow add a link to your chain or put a longer chain back on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you're stepping down, then you may be able to get away by just using your tensioner. If you're maxing on your your tensioner's range, then you'll need to take off a link. Can you give us more info on what bike, tensioner type etc.?[/QUOTE

Trek Marlin SS. I don't have a chain tensioner, it's just built in to the frame with sliding bolts.
Tensioner bolts are currently about halfway back on the 20T and there is some chain slap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The frame is a Trek Marlin SS. I don't have a chain tensioner, it's just built in to the frame with sliding bolts.
Tensioner bolts are currently about halfway back on the 20T and there is some chain slap.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If it were me I would go with bigger ring and keep the 20 tooth cog because the system will run smoother. You could use a 35/20 because it is a very similar ratio to the 32/18. You will need to add some links or slide your wheel forward.
:skep: He'll be just fine with 32x18. Why spend extra on a chainring, lessen clearance, with virtually no benefits?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you already have smaller cog or bigger chainring? If you don't want to deal with shortening the chain, try to fit 18t cog. If it doesn't fit I would get a bigger chainring.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You could just buy another chain to suit the 18T cog. It'd be cheaper than buying a whole new chainring i'd reckon.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
A 1 tooth change in the cog will move the axle about 1/8"...so going from 20 to 18 w/o changing anything else (chainring, chain), will move the axle back about 1/4". Obviously, if your chain is already super loose (chainslap), then it's gonna move more to properly tension it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts