Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help with information on converting a 1 1/4" steering tube to 1 1/8" with a stem raiser? Has anyone done this or managed to source one?
My other question is can you change skewer axles with solid axles as I need to get longer axles for my bike to fit a heavy rack and pannier setup on?
Any response will be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Max

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I don't know of any easy conversions for 1 1/8" stems on 1 1/4" steerer. Hopefully someone will come up with something. To my knowledge you will need to buy a new fork, a reducing headset, and a new stem. Good news is that you can leave the steerer tube uncut allowing you to raise the handlebars (which is what I am assuming you are trying to do). Other, cheaper options include high rise handlebars which are available in really high sizes (check your LBS for QBP options).

As far as the axle goes, does the rack you are looking at require axle mounting? It is not the most common mounting point. Commonly, the racks will mount to small threaded eyelets above the dropout. Anyway, depending on your current hub you can order various differently sized axles. Here's the most commonly available manufacturer to your LBS http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/469/32/

On your front, you will have to put a rear axle in there and hope you have enough thread to reduce the size as many only have thread on the ends and are smooth in the centers. You could cut off the excess size you don't need, but I would make sure you have an axle nut threaded onto the axle so that you can back it off and clean up the threads once you cut it. As for the rear, you can probably increase by the next size up and have plenty of room. Maybe posting what rack you are trying to use will assist us in figuring out what you are trying to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.