Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TruVativ Crankset and my wife bought me a FSA crankset for xmas. I tried to put the new FSA on and it appears to me that the BB is too wide. From what I have found it looks like there is a 68mm and a 70mm width. Is that correct? If so I would guess that I have a 68 and she bought me a 70. I figured if that is the case, I'll just add another spacer, I'm up to a total of 4 now. So I did and it fits, but it appears now that the crnaks have some kind of bind on them, they sdont spin free, feels like there is drag from tightning the crank arms down to tight? Could it be that or is it the fact that I can't use a 70mm where I sould have a 68 with spacers. I am not sure what the hell is going on so any ideas are greatly appriciated.
Thanks!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You need to be specific with model, not just brand, but since you're talking about spacers I'll assume you've got an external bb style. Truvativ and FSA don't share compatible external bottom bracket bearings. Most bb shells on mountain bikes are either 68mm wide or 73mm wide, and external bb cranksets use spacers to adjust between the two shell widths. 70mm is typically an Italian road bike thing, with different threading for the bb altogether. The crankset determines what bottom bracket it works with, the frame's shell width is just a factor in choosing the setup for the crank. Most likely you just need to find a bottom bracket bearing set compatible with your FSA crank, which is most brands except for Truvativ. I'm guessing, though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Truvativ is a Stylo GXP Giga X Pipe, All I know about the FSA is that it is a carbon crank set, team isue with a BB73E bottom btacket. Yes, they are both external BB's.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
wvmtb said:
The Truvativ is a Stylo GXP Giga X Pipe, All I know about the FSA is that it is a carbon crank set, team isue with a BB73E bottom btacket. Yes, they are both external BB's.
Your first post sounded like you tried to install the new crankset on the old bb...do you have an e-type front derailleur and 73 mm bb shell width? That at least is what I assume the bb73e refers to...fsa's website didn't help on a brief look.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I think FSA mimics Shimano's external bearing set-ups. They work with 68 and 73mm shells and E-type and normal front derailluers. The greatest number of spacers you should have installed is 3...that is for a 68mm shell with a normal (non-E) front der. Any other configuration will need fewer spacers.

Give us more info about the bike it's going in...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Your first post sounded like you tried to install the new crankset on the old bb...do you have an e-type front derailleur and 73 mm bb shell width?
No, the crankset came with the a new BB, arms & rings. So I was replacing it all. And no I don't have a e-type derailluer. I think that might be the problem. :madman:

Nater said:
I think FSA mimics Shimano's external bearing set-ups. They work with 68 and 73mm shells and E-type and normal front derailluers. The greatest number of spacers you should have installed is 3...that is for a 68mm shell with a normal (non-E) front der. Any other configuration will need fewer spacers.

Give us more info about the bike it's going in...
I agree! I thought for sure that it should work with either BB shell with the correct spacers. I measured the bike (05 Kona Explosif) I am putting it on and it has a 68mm shell. From what I can tell from FSA's web site I should use 2 spacers on the right and 1 on the left. But like Bikinfoolferlife said I think the "E" stands for an e-type derailleur. I need either the 68 or 73 with out the "E". That sucks! If that's the case I think I can just sell the BB that I have and buy a new one. As long as the Spindle is not going to be too long then. :confused:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
If it's a 68mm shell and you're not using the e-type derailleur then the BB should go on with one 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side and two 2.5mm spacers on the drive side.

If the only issue you have is that there's more drag than on your previous set-up, it's possible that you don't actually have a problem. The only external BB set-up I've had which didn't drag (buy hand) is with the Hope bearings I'm currently using. As long as you're confident that you haven't applied too much preload to the bearings, you may just be able to crack on and ride...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I was just in there messing with it and I put 1 spacer on both sides with an o ring on the drive side. Every thing feels much better. I'll go and replace the o ring with a spacer and see what happens.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non drive did not work. When I tightened the BB down, the side I tighten last has play in the spacer(s). Measuring with my bad eyes (?) they appear to be 2.5mm spacers but maybe they are not and that is the problem. But like my last post said, with a spacer on both sides and a o ring on one side it works. Anyone see a problem running it like this or should I replace the BB-73E with a BB-73 or BB-68?

EDIT: After looking at the FSA installation instructions. I think I am missing a couple thin O-rings. Looks like there should be one on both sides of the BB. The one I am using is a thick one I had in my spare parts box. This crank set was bought off ebay as a slightly. But it looks new! Maybe they left the 1 spacer and 2 o rings out when they shipped it ;( Thats my luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.