Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the trip to Pisgah this weekend (https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=321388), I made a few changes to the Ciclon.

1) Changed the 454 Air U-Turn Pike to a Lyrik Coil U-Turn.
2) Changed the Hope Mono Mini's to an '07 183mm Hope M4 front and an '07 160mm Hope Mono Mini. I also changed over the Dangerboy Levers.
3) Took off the Thomson stem for a Gravity Dropper.
4) Changed the 100mm Thomson stem to a 90mm.
5) Took of the Blackspire Stinger and installed a Heim Guide with a MRP Roller - much smoother and quieter.

The bike just came alive! It climbs fast as hell and decends even faster. I could not be any happier at this point. Pisgah was the best test zone for these changes with multiple mile, steep climbs and super technical downhills. The Lyrik just soaks up anything you can throw at it. Hope's '07 brakes have some of the best power and modulation that I have felt in awhile, and the machining is beautiful. I do think I am going to change the rear to a larger 183mm rotor for a little bit more balance. I know a lot of people don't belive in the Gravity Dropper concept, but I could not have done without it this weekend. The saddle was down when I needed it to be and when it was time to raise it, it was exactly where it was supposed to be everytime. The 90mm stem improved the handling going down and I think actually helped going up as well. I was able to climb with the fork set higher than usual.

Special thanks to Sherwood, the guys at Cane Creek and Chad @ Red Barn for the perfect bike.

The only change left to make is trying out the 5"/6" rockers that I have coming in this week. Cane Creek is hooking me up with the hardware to change the stroke of the CCDB from 2" to 2.25" to get the full 5 and 6 inches.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Kept whining about it the whole time.
Blah blah blah...
;)

J/K - He was a madman on that thing.

I bet you'd rather push the 20 pound SS up the hill from hell though.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
RSutton1223 said:
Is this where you, Ashley, Mark and Hamilton say "I told you so"?
Some where, deep down inside you lurks the soul of a Homer. :thumbsup:

Told ya so!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
looks beautiful. FWIW, I'm running 180mm rear and I just have to detune it; it is so strong it is hard to not lock up.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
RS was a hammer all weekend.

As much as I love my Pike, I ran out of fork on the Green's Lick & Burnt Mtn. DH runs. Yeah, I got tired of guessing where my seat was on the fly. I begrudgingly say that I too had GD envy. :blush:

Oh yeah, did I mention the CCDB is the dog's bollocks!

Great weekend guys.

D.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Burnt Mtn has a few intense sections where it's nice to have 170mm of Zocchi Love!

·
Villa10bos
99 Posts
Gravity Dropper

Hey, What Gravity Dropper are you using? the 3 or 4 inch drop. How long is the seat post is 400mm? Im building a M Ciclón next weekend when I will receive my new frame here in Mexico, but don´t know which model of GD to choose. I jst recently dumped my Ellsworth id, to many problems with it by the way

Cheers

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Villalobos said:
Hey, What Gravity Dropper are you using? the 3 or 4 inch drop. How long is the seat post is 400mm? Im building a M Ciclón next weekend when I will receive my new frame here in Mexico, but don´t know which model of GD to choose. I jst recently dumped my Ellsworth id, to many problems with it by the way

Cheers
Good job on dropping the Ellsworth!

400mm with a 4 inch drop and it is perfect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts