Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Mt. Diablo is split up between State Parks, East Bay Regional Park District, Save Mt. Diablo, , Contra Costa County....for whatever it means to us there has to be a better way to manage it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't know if this is good or bad. Anyone hear of public meetings on this deal? Was this a violation of the Brown Act? Were other groups invited?

Neighter the Marin IJ nor SFGate provided links to the actual agreement or the nonprofit group.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,453 Posts
I am hoping this agreement will bring about more like the Diaz Ridge trail, which took some working together between State Parks and GGNRA (I think) to get going.

But if MMWD, which to my knowledge is the least bike friendly of the groups) becomes more powerful out of this, then it could be bad for is.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I posted this back in February in the "Mt. Tam Ranger Danger" thread that was getting lots of attention:

"Lately there's been a lot of interest and conservation folk talking about restoring the West Peak and the Air Base area so there will definitely be more activity in that area as they try to drum up private fundraising. MMWD board approved a Tamalpais Lands Collaborative group last night that will join Mt. Tam lands (state parks, MMWD, GGNRA and MCOSD) in a shared non-profit fund run by the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy to increase fundraising potential for environmental stewardship and restoration projects on Mt. Tam.

Doesn't impact the enforcement or rules of any of those agencies at all, but I would expect to see more activity in that part of the mountain.... "

It'd recommend getting on the MMWD Watershed Committee if you want to be in the loop on these types of happenings. The meetings are all open to the public, usually during the middle of the day on a Thursday, mostly its the old folks that feel the own Tam that show up.

The last meeting had the introduction of the "Trail Partners MOU" between MCBC, MCH and MCL. The plan is basically the same MCBC approach of treating the MCL and MCH folks with respect and saying we are all equal and deserve safe equal access and then doing nothing when the MCH and MCL folks crap all over mtbs and say we are the biggest danger to every living thing on the watershed. Seems like once again MCBC is going to make a major effort to placate the horse folks and land managers by showing how they will make mtbing "safer" for all user groups while ignoring the fact that bikes are not dangerous; Horses are where the real danger on the trail lies and a truly dangerous situation is created by the types and quality of trails that are "open" to bikes, i.e. fireroads with a 15% grade and water bars that force riders into high speeds then launch them into a blind turn.....

I doubt this new 'collaborative' approach to managing tam will have any real policy affect on bikers in the near future, MMWD Board of Directors elections will have a much bigger impact on increasing bike access on the watershed but even that is a longshot. IMHO it would take at least 2 board members committed to increasing bike access to make any headway with MMWD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts