Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are on the Maverick website. Looks interesting. I'm going to add a bike in '08, to compliment my '05 Truth, will try Durance, Motolite, Mojo, Moment, and similar.

Durance tubes look more stout for '08, simialr to new Moment changes, also says 5.5 travel.

Lew

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,596 Posts
I don't know if this is actually the case, but it seems like the '08 Durance is more of a trail bike this year, last year ('07) it seemed like it was more of a race bike.

This year ('08) it seems like the Matic is more aimed towards being a "faster" bike, as it has less travel than the Durance. Yes? No?

So, anyone want to more clearly define the Durance's purpose this year?

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,082 Posts
08 Line Up

Lew said:
are on the Maverick website. Looks interesting. I'm going to add a bike in '08, to compliment my '05 Truth, will try Durance, Motolite, Mojo, Moment, and similar.

Durance tubes look more stout for '08, simialr to new Moment changes, also says 5.5 travel.

Lew
Propaganda linky

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_368.pdf

Interesting that they are going hard at getting out the DUC36CF - must be the lure 650B's and the 29er market.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
hmmm ...

are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the seat tube angle on the new durance considerably more raked back than the ml8 and matic?

no word on improved tire clearance at the back - apparently this is on the ToDo list ...

ragetty

·
Registered
225 Posts
In 2007

For 07 when the Durance and Matic were launched, didn't the Durance have a better tubeset making it lighter than the Matic?

Wonder if the Matic is now lighter than the Durance given its XC bias........

·
Insanity later
347 Posts
ragetty said:
hmmm ...

are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the seat tube angle on the new durance considerably more raked back than the ml8 and matic?

no word on improved tire clearance at the back - apparently this is on the ToDo list ...

ragetty
It sure looks that way. I suspect it was necessary in order to increase the travel. A bit of a deal breaker for me, as I really liked the steeper seat angle on the Durance 07 compared to my ML7. I would love some more clearance too. A big 2.3 has difficulties fitting in my frame.

Skleins, the Durance and Matic were SUPPOSED to have different tubesets, but ended up using the same 6061 to simplify matters. There was a post on it a few months back.

·
Registered
584 Posts
i was comtemplating the durance too, but the raked seat tube angle is a bit of a deal breaker for me too - although i wasn't looking to buy until the clearance issue is solved.

in fact, this is the reason i was hanging on to my klein palomino for the moment instead of moving up to the durance, as the klein lets me mount 2.7" tyres - that is, if i wanted too :eekster:

so i guess it will be the ml8 afterall ...

ragetty

·
Registered
154 Posts
the same 6061?

Serenity Now said:
using the same 6061 to simplify matters. There was a post on it a few months back.
Is that for 08? The Maverick site shows 6069 for the Durance. Did some searching in this forum and couldn't seem to find any references to this.

Care to elaborate?

G

·
I think they are both 6069. Not that I can tell the difference when riding though :) Most folks use some sort of 6000 series alluminum so they can be heat treated after welding. seems to be working, don't see too many broken bikes these days. not like back in the 90's anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Interesting to see bikes are being offered with 'select' Rockshox forks this year too..............then again why not - Thats how Mr Turners tinkering started?

Wonder also how the Durance travel has increased an extra 1/2" - shock stroke...longer chainstays?

I wait with interest as looking to make a change for 08 from my 7.5, was thinking of a new 08 Fuel EX:eekster: but after seeing the 08's am contemplating a Matic with SC's as only need a frame and forks, my DUC's are probably more than I need for my riding so good to get back to 4-5"

Going to get a UK winters worth of riding on my Klein Attitude over with, then make the call in Spring when the weather picks up.............already packed the 7.5 and DUC's away for hibernation!

·
Registered
351 Posts
2008 Update

Matic is only available in a painted finish. We use 6061 tubeset on the Matic.
Both the Matic, Durance and ML8 will have our new rear damper in them. It has a new internal hydrualic top out system, less complicated design (read less parts) and better overall feel.
The Durance is a 6069 tubeset and is available in the Hard Anodized and 2 painted finishes, Red and Lite Blue. 6069 is a fancier version of the venerable 6061, but we can draw the tube thinner at the same strength and better durability, to create a lighter stiffer frame, but at a higher cost. The post about all using 6061 is incorrect. Actually all 2007 Matic's used the nicer 6069 tubing.
Geometry on the Durance is designed around a 520mm ish axle to crown height and the Matic is around a 495mm A/C. So the Durance with a DUC or Pike or the Lyrik for slacker head angle. The Matic with the SC32 or Reba or Pike for slacker head angle.
Durance has 140mm travel now, we get that from the new damper with longer stroke and some shock body changes.
Matic stays at 125mm.
Rear end on both frame have similar tire clearance to the ML8 now. Not sure about 2.7"s ! But 2.5"s with out issue.
The Durance prototypes and first production frames are riding awesome. The new top top profile and seat tube stiffness really is shinning through. The seat angles have basically been the same for the last 2 years. Since the fist Durance the seat tube has been steepened up by a degree. :cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
thanks for filling us in on the details Ethan F

then it looks like the Durance will be my purchase this year afterall (i think it was the photo in the pdf being skewed that makes the seat post angle look so raked - the wheels on the Durance are not round).

ragetty

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Ethan,

when did you changed to the new rear damper?? In 07 or will it be new for 08 ??
I got a new damper for my ML8 in June 2007 and it works much more better than the original damper from 2005. Is it possible to change the rear damper of my 07 Durance to the new 140mm damper for 2008 ??

Quietscho

·
Registered
321 Posts
Quietscho said:
Hello Ethan,

when did you changed to the new rear damper?? In 07 or will it be new for 08 ??
I got a new damper for my ML8 in June 2007 and it works much more better than the original damper from 2005. Is it possible to change the rear damper of my 07 Durance to the new 140mm damper for 2008 ??

Quietscho
Yes the new damper perfectly fits the "old" shock. The lower one is the new, in comparaison with the old (shorter) and fits my 7/5. Good to learn now it's 140mm :thumbsup:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well actually it is the same overall length, but it does work better! At this time the 140mm travel is just designed for the 08' frame. We are working on away to upgrade the 07' to the 140mm travel, stay tuned! Did Patrice help you out?

·
Registered
584 Posts
would this upgrade also fit a 2006 7/5? with the better tyre clearance too, i.e. an entire rear end?

ragetty

·
Registered
351 Posts
The 08' rear end of the Durance will fit all of the past ML7/5's, Durances and Matics. A this time we do not have stock of the new rears and may be awhile as we do production of full frames. Keep in touch, and by all means e-mail Maverick for future info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.