Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Does anybody has a different shock? I would like to make my ETSX plusher for downhills.

Actual shock is a Fox float R, and I feel it a bit firm for small bumps.

Any other option? I´m thinking about a RP23 o a DT EX200.

SALUD!!!

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
I actually have a DHX air on mine

I have an 06 ETSX 10. Originally a Fox Float R. But needed a rebuild so I put a DHX 5.0 air on it (it actually had - and NEEDS - a Gonzo valve for clearance). The DHX air was off another bike that I don't ride and was meant to be temporary. But I like it. Alot. May not put the original back on. Of course, I had to mount the shock 'up-side-down' compared to how the ETSX shock comes originally. And as stated, without the Gonzo valve, it won't have clearance on the rocker arms. Even with the Gonzo, the clearance is minimal but works. No rubs or hard parts hitting yet.

REEK

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I´ve thought about the DHX, mainly because of it´s regulations... but I think it´s too much for this bike, isn´t it?

Are you using a water cage or a Camel?

Don´t know what to do. I prefer coil response, but I will not carry its weight :D

SALUD!!!

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
If you want it smooth and plush...

Dont count out the CaneCreek Cloud9 shock...

Ive ridden them on other bikes and I love them - hard to justify the upgrade when my RP2 is still alive (better do something about that)...

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The ETSX is not prone to bob by design, but it really benefits from a platform shock where you can adjust or set the amount of platform you run. I ran a Push'd RP3 on my 2004 ETSX and it was great, very supple and I could get full travel without blowing through the travel on bigger hits. It came with the Fox Float AVA and the Push'd RP3 blew that shock into the weeds for feel.

The size and weight of a DHX air would make it less attractive, they weigh about 200gms more than the RP23 and aren't really needed where you have a rising rate suspension as you don't have a problem with blowing through the last 1/3 of travel. On the ETSX the shock leverage drops as the travel increases so it takes more effort to get the suspension to compress the further you get into the travel. That's why it feels so bottomless on bigger hits and pedals so well.

Attachments

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
DHX IS too much

A gonzo valve is a schrader filler valve replacement that lets you fit the shock into frames with clearance issues. google it and you'll probably turn up some pics.

As for DHX air on my ETSX, yes, too much shock. But that's what I had around to use as my temporary shock. Will probably end up with an RP23 but that's when the cash flow gets a bit easier. Just dropped a bunch on a Marin XLT Quake so bike parts are out for now.

REEK

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just out of curiosity; how much difference is there between a RP23 shock that comes with an etsx or one you buy in the after market, is it true that RM has their shocks tuned by fox for their specific frames or is this just some marketing babble?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Fox has a range of "off the shelf" options for things like air canister size and platform damping that a manufacturer can choose from, so really spongey suspension designs can get a higher platform setting than well behaved frames.

But of course the manufacturers have to choose the shock based on their shock leverage ratio they need, and rising or falling rate and then round it off for an average rider weight, so somewhat custom-ish might be the right term.

This is why getting a shock Push'd for your frame, your weight and riding style offers such a big improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.