Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Currently have a 09 DW small 5 spot with some Rev Team (BB Damping) U-turns on it. The bike is great,

BUT

I have the chance of getting a set of 2010 Float RC2's FIT at good money. Seeing I very rarely use the U - Turn (if at all). I was wondering if a swap to the Fox 160mm would be a good move.

It will put about 3/4lbs on the bike, but i'm not too bothered about that.

the Question is will the FOX be in a 'different league' to the RS Revelation in terms of stiffness, or just slightly stiffer.

The damping on the Revelation is spot on In my opinion and I find it hard to accept that the damping on Fox is much better.

Any of you guys gone froma 150mm/32mm fork to a a60mm/36mm fork? and if so whats your thoughts?

Ta

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
Can't say anything about that bike or even changing on the same bike but I went with a bike with a Rev to an RFX w/a 36 Float and the difference was mind blowing. I know a lot of it was the bike, but the added front end stiffness was night and day. I must add that I went from a qr to the 20mm thru, so ymmv. I've always enjoyed plush, full travel and had no problems (it's an '08).

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's funny, I just did the exact same thing as you did, but opposite, as I now ride a revelation xx.
I can't judge ATM as I've got just one ride on it so far.
I can easily tell the weight isn't much of an issue between both, and there is a difference in stiffness obviously.
The 36 is in a completly different league, this is a much beefier fork.

One of the reason I changed is mainly because I couldn't stand the fact the bike was seating too high up front so it makes pedalling really weird for me. And I got a good deal on the xx as well.

If the revelation can't take all the abuse I throw at it I might just lower my float to 150 to make the A2C pretty much the same as a revelation.

Sorry if I can't really help, I don't have much saddle time with the revelation as this is winter.

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
Not the same but I went from a Fox 32 Vanilla to a RS Lyrik Coil u-turn (160). I couldn’t be happier. The Lyrik is dramatically better than the Fox and I have yet to use the u-turn. Even with no jumps/stunts in my riding the 160mm fork on the Spot (2010) rocks. I was a little concerned about the extra pound in weight and possible wandering of the front end but won’t go back.

I thought I had seen the Rev 150mm as the ideal fork for the Spot, you are the first I have heard of anyone trading away from it. Maybe a Lyrik solo air instead of the Fox? Several people on the forum have raved about it (I think most are limiting it to 160 mm travel).

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I went from a fox 36 (160) to a Rev 150. I was worried about the Rev not being stout enough based on looks alone. On the trail I found the Rev to be a much better fit for the Spot, super stiff with excellent damping. I never found a lot of love for the 36's trail feel, it was stout but the damping was never quite right imo.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
1soulrider said:
I went from a fox 36 (160) to a Rev 150. I was worried about the Rev not being stout enough based on looks alone. On the trail I found the Rev to be a much better fit for the Spot, super stiff with excellent damping. I never found a lot of love for the 36's trail feel, it was stout but the damping was never quite right imo.
You like the Rev over a Lyrik?

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
gregmazo said:
What is the verdict about the revelation, in terms of abuse?
How does it handle gnarly stuff?
I find it is plenty capable of taking any abuse I throw at it. My Spot is the bike I ride the most, and over a wide range of terrain the fork has always felt up to the task. I spend quite a lot of time riding and racing dh so I'm not exactly gentle on my trailbike.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
bagtagley said:
You like the Rev over a Lyrik?
I like them both, but feel they have different applications. I have a Lyric dh 170 that is an amazing fork, but would be overkill for the Spot imo.
If I were quite a bit heavier I might find the need to go to a bigger fork for the Spot, but at 165# I find the Rev a perfect fit for my Spot.
I thought it would be to wimpy when I first got my hands on the Rev, it was too light and those 32mm stanchions looked spindly and flexy. Compared to the 36 I had on the Spot at the time, the Rev didn't look up to the task.
From the first ride I was impressed. The quality of travel was excellent right out of the box, and I had a hard time believing that the Rev was as stout feeling on the trail as it was.
Now I have more than a year of regular riding on the Rev with no issues and almost no maintenance (dropped the lowers once for oil and lube).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just made pretty much this same change on my large '09 spot. I went from some 2010 rev races set at 150mm to some 2011 float r's set at 150mm too. I weigh in heavy at 240lbs. I thought the revs were great on flatter smoother terrain for me, but I was feeling under forked on steep sections or rough ground, just a little too flexy. I took my first ride with the floats fitted on Saturday, for me they were much better. I didnt find them insensitive on smaller hits like some have commented. I did a route around the dark peak area in the UK peak district, it has some steep and very rocky trails. I found the floats a lot more confidence inspiring and the added stiffness was noticeable. Defo made the right choice :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.