Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to pick up a 2011 Jet 9 closeout frame that uses an RP23 rear shock that is known for having too much compression dampening from the factory. I may need to change the compression tune on the shock and wanted to see how hard it is to do - or if it can even be changed by a user or must be serviced by fox/push/etc.

Any special tools? I've serviced rear shocks to install seal kits but never screwed around with the compression tune.

This article talks a little about how Niner changed the compression tune on the rear shock and then changed it back after complaints...
Niner JET 9 review - BikeRadar

·
Registered
266 Posts
It requires many special tools, and some expensive ones at that (eg. a nitrogen tank/regulator). On top of that, it is very difficult, especially if you have no experience with suspension dampers. This is not a job permitted to be performed by consumers or even bike shops. It must be done at authorized service centers. I recommend Push.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I agree with Matty. Rear shock dampers are charged with nitrogen to reduce/prevent foaming of the oil. The charge is at quite a high pressure. Unless you have the correct tools for venting the charge during the disassembly process, bad things can happen. Most rear shocks are not completely user serviceable. Air can seals and service are totally user friendly, but damper service is usually better left to someone like Fox or Push. On top of that you would need have a good working knowledge of the changes you would need to make in the damper valve and shim stack to produce the results you are looking for. My advice, call Push. :)

Good Dirt

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Its actually not that hard, but can be overwhelming if you dont know what you are doing. You can buy the tools for 30-40$ to charge the IFP with a shock pump(using air, not nitrogen) Using air is not a problem, many piggyback rear shocks use air from the factory to allow the user to tune IFP pressures(DHX air, DHX 4.0 and 5.0, Manitou Revox, X fusion Vector and Vector air).

If you have no idea what you are doing, its best to send it away to get tuned. If you have a pretty good idea of how a rear shock works, there are threads on here about rebuilding them. The choice is up to you.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figured that was the case when Fox posted that it needed to be done at a service center. The shock is new so hate to pay a fortune for the change but I guess I need to figure that work into the cost of the frame.

Sent an email to Push to check pricing on it. May also check pricing to send it back to Fox.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.