Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MTB avatar goes here
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am undergoing my first caliper rebuild. Not a very exciting story, but I want to rebuild this caliper to run disk on my old Schwinn Homegrown with an equally old Brake Therapy.

I have the parts, but when I went to take the caliper apart, I cannot budge the bolts! I have not stripped them out yet, but if I torque any harder they will.

I popped one of the pistons out with an air compressor in the hopes I could rebuild it without taking it apart. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but after about 15 minutes, it seemed pretty futile to try and get the gasket/seal back in where it needs to be.

Any ideas on how to get those bolts broken loose? (They're not threaded backwards are they?)

Has anyone succeeded in replacing pistons without splitting the caliper?

Anyone have a diskbrake caliper with the mount spacing that is about 1" apart?

Anyone have a cheap brake therapy with standard mount spacing?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've rebuilt a hayes and another caliper before and trust me the bolt is stuck there pretty tight but once you crack it loose, it's really easy to turn so unless your bolt head is rounded, I wouldn't worry about applying a lot of torque on it.

That's a 22mm hayes mount BTW, it's pretty rare but can be found on ebay every once in awhile for cheap.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
ProGold is great for penetrating seized bolts & lubing the chain. :thumbsup:

Lay the caliper on a solid surface preferably steel get a T-handle allen or use a straight one with a box wrench around it, tap the allen while twisting. As 006_007 heat is another great method. Lube, vibration and heat will usually free something. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.