Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting back into the sport and my new bike is killing my arse. :smallviolin: SO....I am going too invest in some riding shorts. I am have seen alot of talk here on MTBR about the products with chamois in the seat. I have not seen much discussion about "gel shorts". Is this an out of date product or is the chamois much better. Years ago when I rode (10 years) the gel shorts were the way too go. Any help or advise would be great. Thanks.:D

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Gel shorts?

TrainingWheels said:
I am just getting back into the sport and my new bike is killing my arse. :smallviolin: SO....I am going too invest in some riding shorts. I am have seen alot of talk here on MTBR about the products with chamois in the seat. I have not seen much discussion about "gel shorts". Is this an out of date product or is the chamois much better. Years ago when I rode (10 years) the gel shorts were the way too go. Any help or advise would be great. Thanks.:D
I think Performance bikes sells a lycra short with gel laminated chamois. Sounds like they wouldn't breath as well or absorb sweat as well. They maybe OK for infrequent shorter ride use.

Your butt will need to "break-in" again to riding on any seat.

The higher end bike shorts have better fitting chamois for longer ride comfort. I've found thinner but well shaped chamois on a good WTB seat perform better than thicker chamois on any seat.

There are some better seats for comfort now. My favorite are the newer softer but light weight WTB seats with the "luv-channel", such as the Laser model.

Be sure your seat height and fit is precise too. Otherwise you get excessive movement on your butt bones and rapid soreness.

:cool:

- ray

·
slow
7,683 Posts
I happened upon a pair of Peformance Gel shorts on clearance last year and bought them thinking I could put off laundry for another day or two with an extra pair of shorts. However, I found that I don't care much for them, as it feels like I am wearing a diaper. I still wear them occasionally, but much prefer my Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts.

Time in the saddle is the best medicine. My butt is usually a bit sore at the beginning of the season, and until I get some decent mileage.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
derby said:
I think Performance bikes sells a lycra short with gel laminated chamois. Sounds like they wouldn't breath as well or absorb sweat as well. They maybe OK for infrequent shorter ride use.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I first heard about "gel" shorts. I think I'll just stick with good normal padding. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and orderd a couple pair of the chamois brief shorts from performance. I am also hearing tons of good stuff about the WTB saddles so I ordered one of those as well. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.