Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Too quiet lately. Just put the new PDW 55mm fenders on mine... tricky fit on the rear with a 44, the height of the seat tube bolt head was enough to screw with test fitting, so I had to drill that hole right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
IMO, the Chamois Hagar rocks those fenders in STYLE!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Chamois Hagar piqued my interest so I pulled the trigger. In the process of procuring parts for mine! I am 5'8" went with a Small.

For context, the CH will serve as my Gravel, XC, MTB in South OC. Ride from my house to top of San Juan. My house to Luge. I get that I'm giving up compared to a MTB but an MTB would be a beast to ride from my house to the trail head plus the trail. Monstercross!

My current ride is an older Voodoo Loa with 74* STA and 71 HTA -- 50cm ST and 53.5cm TT. The Voodoo can clear a 44 but its got 1" headtube and rim brakes - the latter is its limiting factor.

While I thought about the Open Wide, it was to similar to the Voodoo except the disc brakes and the 650b compatibility. Plus I'm gonna keep my Voodoo as a 'road bike' or when the gravel rides are more fireroadie then radical.

I am going to tri Spank Vibrocore Flare 25 bars. Did anyone go uber wide on their bars compared to stock? My current ride has 44cm but am thinking a 46cm on the CH. Also curious to know if anyone shortened their stem. I saw the review from Guy Kes (
) he went wide bars and short stem... that was a bit of an AHA for him. Open to suggestions, ideas, comments. Gonna try the stock 50 stem with wider bars before anything.

I will build mine with GRX di2 but one of the Garbaruk cages to macguiver a Deore 11-51t cassette (Rear Derailleur Cage for Shimano GRX 11-speed). Basically an 11 speed Shimano mullet.

Wheels will be the Spank Vibrocore too! Why not try it if they live up to the hype maybe less vibration and fatigue while riding. I have some 700x48 juniper ridge from Rene Herse on the way too.

Should be pretty epic. Stoked for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rode the bike on Tuesday. It rips. There are a few things that I absolutely loved... NEVER EVER ANY TOE HITTING THE FRONT WHEEL. Boom. That was a big win. Disc breaks are amazing. My Voodoo (1998) did not have them so that in itself if a huge win for me. How the bike handles - it loves to be leaned and stays stable. It almost feels like the long wheelbase turns sharper in conjunction with the slack angle/trail/whatever geo they use. Climbing was way better than I expected as was the traction climbing.

I have 44cm bars on with the 50mm stem and strongly considering bumping out to 46cm on the small frame. Anyone else running ultra wide bars on their bike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Updated ride report. FAST AF. I put Rene Herse Juniper Ridge tires (700x48) which are fairly knobby and it is next level good. I swapped the bars for a 46cm with a 43mm stem. Climbing from the hoods is way less cramped now. Fees real good. Bike rips. Ride it like a mtb and it will reward you. It's so mental. Boom.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree, the Chamois turns beautifully. A lot of people dismiss the handling because it has a long wheelbase, dropper post and slack head tube, but what they don't realize is the amount of confidence you go into the turn and that's why it's a fast turning machine. It's not even funny how much faster I can confidently descend or corner with speed over others I'm riding with on gravel bikes.

Rode the bike on Tuesday. It rips. There are a few things that I absolutely loved... NEVER EVER ANY TOE HITTING THE FRONT WHEEL. Boom. That was a big win. Disc breaks are amazing. My Voodoo (1998) did not have them so that in itself if a huge win for me. How the bike handles - it loves to be leaned and stays stable. It almost feels like the long wheelbase turns sharper in conjunction with the slack angle/trail/whatever geo they use. Climbing was way better than I expected as was the traction climbing.

I have 44cm bars on with the 50mm stem and strongly considering bumping out to 46cm on the small frame. Anyone else running ultra wide bars on their bike?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think the people that don't like the handling are looking for road style 'precision' which to a lot of mountain bike guys just feels squirrelly as hell. Those people aren't used to turning with their hips, cranking a bike over and weighting their bars...modern MTB handling/turning technique is pretty well divorced from road cycling. If push it like a mountain bike.. it handles amazingly, tons of confidence and traction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just landed in San Diego. Stock GRX build from Jenson. Freaking awesome bike. I'm 5'10" and the medium fits perfect. I came to this from mountain biking so I agree with many, feels waaay more like a mtb. I like that. About 30 miles on it, road, fire road, a touch of single track, man, it's great on all of it. At this early stage, for me, it excels at climbing on dirt. Point it up, and it goes. Point it down, HOLD ON, it's like reentry from outer space, it flies. It is really stiff as most reviewers note, so on rocky trails you might want a mouthpiece. It's ch ch ch ch chattery, but I'll deal with that any day considering how well it climbs. Just stay clear of trails where suspension is kind of a must. I'm 56 and was willing to spend the money on a do it all bike. This is my only bike. For me, Evil hit the bullseye on this. Which is cool because it seems like many are scratching their heads about this bike.....while I go cruising by them smiling instead.
20210224_120512.jpg
Glad I made the choice!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts