Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
It's a shitty wheelset.
Indeed!

Bigger concern... above about 25mph, the drag on the freehub is enough to drop chain tension when coasting, making for some scary clunks at high speed and general chain instability.
I had this problem as well. I found my hub's end caps were too tight. I used cone wrenches to loosen the caps, then I tightened them up finger tight only, and then backed off slightly. The wheel now spins free.

I'm always searching for that magic gravel wheelset... But these do the job.
I've decided to get an EIE (ChiCarbon) set with DT Swiss hubs. Now I just have see if the WTB wheelset will hold up for the 3 or 4 more weeks it's going to take to get it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I replaced my wheelset with a set of Mavic Allroad Pros with matching Yksion Allroad XL 40mm tires and a new BOX Two 11-46 cassette. The cassette was a little heavier than the XT cassette it replaced but the spacing between gears is so much better on the low end. In total I dropped about 3/4 of lb of rotational weight. I can tell I'm going to miss the 50mm Ventures though. I may end up putting those on the new wheels if i'm not happy using the Mavic tires. On a side note, I checked my spokes on the OE WTB proterra rear wheel and there are about 6 spokes that have very little tension- probably the cause of it going out of tru. I'm going to put a spoke tension meter on it to see just how loose they are. So check your spokes people!

Been avg. 40+ mile rides and I'm just so pleased with it. I'm just constantly impressed on well it handles a variety of terrain and the confidence I have with it single track and descending. I really didn't see the need for the dropper but I can't live without it now.
CHMAVIC.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Storage Options?

Just got mine yesterday, and had a great time on my first ride this morning.

Has anyone found a frame/triangle bag that they love, that fits the unique geometry of the Chamois Hagar? I'm not looking for anything more than a snack, mutli-tool, and maybe a cold beverage. Ideally something that'd still let me fit two water bottle cages in there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I use a Revelate bolt on top tube bag for phone, snacks, sometimes glasses or headphones, and a Revelate Jerry Can, the one with the angled back, for a tube, co2, misc emergency ration type stuff. That leaves room, just barely, for 3 side loading cages and smaller podium bottles. I'm on a medium.

Hopefully this works, mtbr photo sharing is straight out of 99.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t6XhcaB3r86PGQRz8

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Not mine but here is a CH w some great bag options. This is from @elladee17 on Instagram

116250355_653823152149653_6121824458658016338_n.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts

Upgrades:
  • Lauf Grit SL fork
  • Trickstuff Brakes
  • Notubes Grail rim (replaced backwheel after a crash)

Now I used my CH about 1500km...

The bike works much better than expected as a road bike. I never had such a save feeling at a descent on a road bike.
The first steep climbs feels a little bit wobbly, but after a view climbs it's easy to handle.
The biggest advantage is the downhill performance. It goes like hell on the trails (much better than some of my MTBs).

I love this bike! For me, it's my trail bike with dropbars...;)

Cheers
Erik

Attachments

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
Upgrades:
  • Lauf Grit SL fork

• Lauf Grit!? You just did what they said can't be done!

If you don't mind, please measure your wheelbase and bottom bracket height for me! Please!

Just looking at it, it looks like the wheelbase is slightly shorter, but the BBH is close.

EVIL said:
    IS THAT A CUSTOM FORK?

Why yes it is. The Chamois Hagar features a custom fork with Evil's custom 56mm offset and 423 mm axle to crown. This fork is compatible with all current road and gravel components. It is a flat mount type brake and features 100mm x 12mm axle and spacing.

The Chamois Hagar is not compatible with suspension forks on the market given the custom offset and axle to crown on the Chamois Hagar.
    Before I bought the Chamois Hagar from EVIL, I confirmed that they considered the Lauf Grit as a non-compatible suspension fork. I had my doubts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lauf Grit!? You just did what they said can't be done!
I had a long chat with Evil about the Lauf. I asked for the changes Of geometry. The head angle is a little bit steeper, the bottom bracket is a little bit lower.

If you don't mind, please measure your wheelbase and bottom bracket height for me! Please!
Yep, I can make some fotos in the next days.

Edit#1:
Bottom bracket is 1,5cm lower; wheelbase is the same

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
Edit#1:
This is very cool, thanks. A couple more questions... did you ride it with the stock fork? Can you compare? And what handlebar do you use?

I originally though this bike was going to be murder on my wrists when I rode rougher trail with it, but the 48/60 ENVE bar is so compliant that wrist pain hasn't been an issue--as such, I'm not rushing to try a suspension fork like I thought I would. Still, this is a very cool option down the road.

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
1.5cm is pretty significant though. Unsagged that takes the BBH from an already low 278mm / 10.93" to a super low 263 / 10.34". And this part is just best guessing, but it takes the HTA from 66.67* to about 67.25*. So while the HTA isn't a huge deal, that lower BBH might be rough for trails. But you may be able to get back to the original geometry with some creative spacering.

The part that confuses me is that you're measuring the wheelbase as the same, since Lauf has a 47mm rake and the CH fork has a 56mm rake.That should shorten your wheelbase by 9mm.

But I think my biggest hold up on this would be Lauf's claimed max tire size of 42mm. I love my Venture 50s. EDIT: LOL, your photo shows the Venture 50s. And by my measurement they're right at about 51mm. So what's up with that? Guess they fit after all.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Too stiff for rough gravel, or not...?

Hi everyone,
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a CH for cross-training, gravel riding and bike packing (perhaps). I just bumped this WE into a local rider who just bought one (GRX) and he was all praise, except that he found it very rattling and not very compliant on washboard gravel roads. This is also a thing that I read on some of the early reviews that makes me a bit concerned, as I'd like some compliance... SO, in all honesty, have you CH owners found it too stiff on rough roads?
Thanks!
JC

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
SO, in all honesty, have you CH owners found it too stiff on rough roads?
I ride mine on rough roads and trails with roots and rocks. It isn't too stiff if you run reasonably low pressures in 50mm tires. And I highly suggest the 48cm ENVE bar (which you can spec on the EVIL website) as it is massively compliant, particularly when riding in the drops.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Has anyone experimented with tires bigger than 50mm? I know that Evil says 50mm max, but as is often the case, the stated max is a little conservative.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a CH for cross-training, gravel riding and bike packing (perhaps). I just bumped this WE into a local rider who just bought one (GRX) and he was all praise, except that he found it very rattling and not very compliant on washboard gravel roads. This is also a thing that I read on some of the early reviews that makes me a bit concerned, as I'd like some compliance... SO, in all honesty, have you CH owners found it too stiff on rough roads?
Thanks!
JC

It's all relative IMO. If you ride a FS bike, this might feel rough. If you come from a road bike it will feel fine. I have no issues with the stiffness of the ride and the configuration of the geo and dropper have drastically improved my downhill game and comfort in fast switchbacks. And I love the riding position which is very roadesqe.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Has anyone experimented with tires bigger than 50mm? I know that Evil says 50mm max, but as is often the case, the stated max is a little conservative.

I'm pretty sure these are 2.1s

91846355_547923312531596_2992917597782161931_n.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
Are there any flat-bar CHs out there? I can't even find a goole-image of one.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm pretty sure these are 2.1s

View attachment 1363557
That is TIGHT. I'm a fat tire guy, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Physically fitting up on a new build in the stand is a lot different after the tire stretches, the wheels get tweaked, some mud and crap starts to pile up, and you've got a rider putting power down, deep in a corner, or hard on a landing....

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
That is TIGHT. I'm a fat tire guy, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Physically fitting up on a new build in the stand is a lot different after the tire stretches, the wheels get tweaked, some mud and crap starts to pile up, and you've got a rider putting power down, deep in a corner, or hard on a landing....
There is probably plenty of room in the fork for 2.1. But there's no way I'd try that in the rear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a Revelate bolt on top tube bag for phone, snacks, sometimes glasses or headphones, and a Revelate Jerry Can, the one with the angled back, for a tube, co2, misc emergency ration type stuff. That leaves room, just barely, for 3 side loading cages and smaller podium bottles. I'm on a medium.

Hopefully this works, mtbr photo sharing is straight out of 99.

New photo by Glenn Bergevin
Storage Options?

Just got mine yesterday, and had a great time on my first ride this morning.

Has anyone found a frame/triangle bag that they love, that fits the unique geometry of the Chamois Hagar? I'm not looking for anything more than a snack, mutli-tool, and maybe a cold beverage. Ideally something that'd still let me fit two water bottle cages in there.
This is totally off topic.

Does your CH seat tube have 4 small slits and the 1 gap in front at the top? Just bought one used and noticed them. Almost look like cracks, but they are straight and the same length. Hope they are supposed to be there.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts