Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just curious what kind of cockpit set up you're going with, and what size drop bar bikes you usually prefer. I'm a couple inches taller than you, and really.happy with my M.
I’m on a large Rocky Mountain solo right now and I feel the reach is too short. I’m going to try the stock 50mm stem first but I’ll most likely run a enve m6 40mm stem and an enve bar. I think the stem on my RM is 80mm.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Looked up the geo on the Solo vs. the CH....of you like the fit of the Solo, I'm betting you'll be psyched with the CH...guess we just have different fit preferences.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I received my large CH and everything is great but the 170mm seatpost is just millimeters too tall for me. My local shop is ordering in a 150mm and they are going to swap it out at no charge. I can't wait to put some time in on it. Really interesting how the SRAM AXS controls work.

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Glenn, you were right.. I need a medium frame. If anybody wants a large frame and fork I’ll sell it for $2550 shipped. It only has 10 miles on it and is mint

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Glenn, you were right.. I need a medium frame. If anybody wants a large frame and fork I’ll sell it for $2550 shipped. It only has 10 miles on it and is mint
Interesting - would mind explaining more on why you feel like sizing down?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Interesting - would mind explaining more on why you feel like sizing down?
I can definitely ride the bike with no issues but if I’m going to take it on the trail I think I would have better control on a medium. I also have a shorter inseam and already swapped to a 150 reverb and it’s borderline for me. Out of the saddle I love the length but in the saddle the top tube is a tad too long.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sorry to hear your sizing didn't work out - these things are getting a lot of bike media love, hopefully you can give someone a deal on the large and get it sorted out pretty quick.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I ended up buying a medium frame and fork so I will have a large chamois hagar frame with the new fork from the medium for sale.. $2350 shipped in US.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think there is a heavy dose of perspective in the feel of the bike, and most reviewers are coming from a more road biased perspective, where are are probably much noodly bikes in general. The good old days for road bikes that feel like death traps are the antithesis of this bike.

I use mine as an 'all road' bike with a few miles of single track here and there. It feels fantastic on shitty roads and gravel, even if the occasional Chicago style pot hole rattles a filling. I'm on 34c Byways at 50psi.

Compared to my drop by ECR on 2.5s, which this replaced, the float of the massive tire is missing, but I'd characterize the frameset as far more 'compliant' on terms of sucking up chatter. For example, if you just lean on the seat, you'll see noticeable deflection of the seattube area; it's not some kind of jackhammer.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
20200503_090836.jpg

Drop the mic! Don't judge this bike until you ride it. I read all the reviews, I watched all the YouTube vids prior to riding it. None of them did this bike justice. Could it ride a little smoother, could steer a little quicker... eh. It's a rigid hardtail and some of these complaints can be addressed with a suspension dropper (PNW Coastal) for ride compliance or go with a carbon post if you don't need the dropper. I personally have zero complaints with the steering at slow speed or during steep climbing. I have no issues keeping it straight and grinding up a steep hill, descending is bliss. Loving the gearing for semi fast road (it's not a road bike), for steep climbs, and casual riding. I'm more of an XC rider/gravel and roadie and it's slacker than my mountain bike. EVIL was the farthest thing from my radar and here I am. This is a medium sized frame all stock w the seatpost setup from center of the crank to top of seat at 29" for reference. I'm 5'9 1/2" and fits like a glove.

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
I'm one ride in and absolutely loving my Chamois Hagar. I'm 5'11 and the large fits me perfect. I bought it direct from the website, and went with a few small changes. I went with the Ti saddle over the CroMo one, the blackwall tires, and the absolutely killer ENVE 48cm-60cm bar. The bike feels amazing at high speeds and I have no problems with low speed handling. Oddly, the only time I felt the front end wonder at all is when I was stand/hammering on climbs at fairly fast speeds. Probably I'll just get used to that.

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I still have a large frame in mint condition with a brand new fork with an uncut steerer tube, new headset. Looking to get $1850.

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
So is anyone else having issues with their WTB Proterra rear wheel? My first one was way out of true after 1 ride. I'm not the best wheel fixer, but I got it reasonably straight. But after another couple of rides, it was rubbing the frame and had multiple very loose non-drive side spokes. EVIL, being excellent, quickly sent a replacement wheel.

All looked well until after my first ride (just road and some easy gravel) and once again the new wheel was well out of true and had 4 very loose non-drive side spokes.

I'm starting to think this particular wheelset may not be up to the task of being on this bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still have a large frame in mint condition with a brand new fork with an uncut steerer tube, new headset. Looking to get $1850.
That’s a heck of a deal and I hope you are able to sell it. I’m in the market, but looking for a small. Lucky for me, I live less than a mile from Evil headquarters and was able to demo my size. I’m pretty sure I want the AXS build, but wondering if you have any more feedback on how you are liking it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
So is anyone else having issues with their WTB Proterra rear wheel? My first one was way out of true after 1 ride. I'm not the best wheel fixer, but I got it reasonably straight. But after another couple of rides, it was rubbing the frame and had multiple very loose non-drive side spokes. EVIL, being excellent, quickly sent a replacement wheel.

All looked well until after my first ride (just road and some easy gravel) and once again the new wheel was well out of true and had 4 very loose non-drive side spokes.

I'm starting to think this particular wheelset may not be up to the task of being on this bike.
My rear wheel is slightly out of true after the 4th ride. It hasn't gotten any worse but I hardly stressed it. I'll have to check the spokes to see if any are loose.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My rear wheel is slightly out of true after the 4th ride. It hasn't gotten any worse but I hardly stressed it. I'll have to check the spokes to see if any are loose.
It's a shitty wheelset, but I'm still on it. I had similar early ride loosening, retensioned the whole wheel...then did it again a couple rides later, and have settled in to a wheel that is round enough for the last thousand or so miles.

Bigger concern... above about 25mph, the drag on the freehub is enough to drop chain tension when coasting, making for some scary clunks at high speed and general chain instability.

I'm always searching for that magic gravel wheelset... But these do the job.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts