Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to add this to the stable, will be selling my Rocky Mountain Solo. Anybody tried one out? Thinking I might go Large at 5’10” long torso.

·
Registered
114 Posts
As a roadie who rides gravel and also dabbles in MTB, the geo of this bike looks decidedly like an MTB rider's gravel bike.... suited for smashing the gnarliest gravel roads and double track trails, but would probably feel slow and not so agile on the road. The head tube angle is very slack compared to even normal gravel bikes, which are slack compared to most road bikes.... I think this bike could be rad if you ride really gnarly gravel roads and would even be fine on single track, but wouldn't necessarily do well as a bike that could also double as a road bike.

It is definitely a different approach to gravel bikes, but you'd kind of expect that coming from a company that is known for kind of disrupting the norms in the MTB world. Definitely interested in seeing the reviews as they get out into the wild.

·
Registered
862 Posts
When this bike 1st came out I thought it looked odd, especially when compared to my Otso Warakin. Now a few weeks later, the Chamois just looks right. Would live to ride one/possibly own one in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still trying to decide between a medium and a large. I’m currently on a large Rocky Mountain solo but the geo is obviously very different.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm 6ft, 32 inch inseam, tend to favor size 56 frames. I went medium with a 70mm stem and 46cm bars.

I probably could have swung a large, and did a lot of math trying to compare it to my dirt drop ECR, but what swayed me medium was the ability to fairly easily go a bit long, versus being always stuck with the shortest stem possible, and maybe not feeling.good if I want to try the new gen of wide drop bars.

Mine hasn't shipped yet, and I'm traveling for work next week... The waiting is hard.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I recently bought a Topstone aluminum 105 to try out the gravel scene and I like it more than I thought I would. Now I have my eye on this bike. If I can sell my Topstone with less than 150 miles on it, then maybe I'll make the jump. Post up some photos as you all receive your Chamois Hagar bikes :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Fedex is in the process of dropping the ball on my bike, hasn't moved since Friday, when I called they say the real delivery date is now Thursday.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Got it! Had to go get it after fedex sat on it for a week, but it's here now.

Evil did a good job building it up - all I had to do was bolt up the bar and front wheel, which was honestly sort of a bummer, I like building bikes...but I went through it, everything was tight, well asjusted, ready to ride. I put bottle cages, Garmin mount and a new seatbon, through the stock seat is probably just fine.

I'm 6ft, average proportions. I'm on an M with a 70mm stem and 46cm bars and a bunch of spacers under the stem - I asked for a lot, as many as they could, it's probably about 50mm. Fit is great - I could have gone large, but it would have been longer than ideal. I get back pain on bikes that are too stretched out, and I want to mess with wider bars, which only end up feeling longer. Besides bar experiments, I'll probably drop the stem a bit, maybe just flip it.

One ride in, a quick, cold 20 mile rip on shitty road. Its stable, fast, rides smooth on chunky pavement. Some reviews indicated it was a bit harsh; maybe compared to other carbon road bikes, but felt awesome to me, even on 'only' 34c Byways. It snowed the other day, so I was dodging piles of snow at intersections and piddles of water that might be ice at every turn, so conditions basically sucked... Which is consistent in suburban Chicago land, and exactly why I wanted a grarly bike. No real gravel or single track today, because it's all a snow and mud mixture right now.

And...it's not a mountain bike. It's a gravel bike. Doesn't feel like a mountain bike, feels like a crazy capable drop bar bike.

1 ride and 20 miles... Pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it! Had to go get it after fedex sat on it for a week, but it's here now.

Evil did a good job building it up - all I had to do was bolt up the bar and front wheel, which was honestly sort of a bummer, I like building bikes...but I went through it, everything was tight, well asjusted, ready to ride. I put bottle cages, Garmin mount and a new seatbon, through the stock seat is probably just fine.

I'm 6ft, average proportions. I'm on an M with a 70mm stem and 46cm bars and a bunch of spacers under the stem - I asked for a lot, as many as they could, it's probably about 50mm. Fit is great - I could have gone large, but it would have been longer than ideal. I get back pain on bikes that are too stretched out, and I want to mess with wider bars, which only end up feeling longer. Besides bar experiments, I'll probably drop the stem a bit, maybe just flip it.

One ride in, a quick, cold 20 mile rip on shitty road. Its stable, fast, rides smooth on chunky pavement. Some reviews indicated it was a bit harsh; maybe compared to other carbon road bikes, but felt awesome to me, even on 'only' 34c Byways. It snowed the other day, so I was dodging piles of snow at intersections and piddles of water that might be ice at every turn, so conditions basically sucked... Which is consistent in suburban Chicago land, and exactly why I wanted a grarly bike. No real gravel or single track today, because it's all a snow and mud mixture right now.

And...it's not a mountain bike. It's a gravel bike. Doesn't feel like a mountain bike, feels like a crazy capable drop bar bike.

1 ride and 20 miles... Pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the short review! I find it interesting that you went with a medium. I’m 5’10 and leaning towards a large. I am currently on a large RM Solo. The large solo is slightly smaller than the medium chamois but the stock stem lengths are obviously quite a bit different.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Stem length and the reach created by drop bars and brifters have a huge impact - the bat/brifters factor usually gets left out of the equation, but that's 75-100mm of extension to your resting position.

I could totally be on a large...but I'm consistently more comfortable on a 56 drop bar bike. Very Happ with my M. On a modern mountain bike, different story - always an L.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My AXS build should be here later this week or the first of next week. I went with a large at 5'10".

·
Registered
599 Posts
My AXS build should be here later this week or the first of next week. I went with a large at 5'10".
Just curious what kind of cockpit set up you're going with, and what size drop bar bikes you usually prefer. I'm a couple inches taller than you, and really.happy with my M.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts