Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just wondering if SC visit this please much? When will you be updating the Chameleon with a tapered HT? Surely it's a frame that deserves one nowadays?

I know you'll have at least 1 (maybe 2) new sale when you do it! ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would imagine they'll wait and see how the new 1.5"-1.25" works out for others. If it is true that the 1.25" is 30% stronger than the 1.125" with out any weight gain due to a thinner steerer tube wall, then that very well may be the end the end of the 1.125" altogether.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 1.5-.125 taper but you would think that using the standard taper HT's from their other alu bikes would be fairly easy to implement in their production run.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would imagine they'll wait and see how the new 1.5"-1.25" works out for others. If it is true that the 1.25" is 30% stronger than the 1.125" with out any weight gain due to a thinner steerer tube wall, then that very well may be the end the end of the 1.125" altogether.
Don't hold your breath for Giant's new "standard". It's a joke. If you want the stiffest head tube then go full 1.5", but good luck finding a stem. Most manufacturers didn't want to bother making a whole line of 1.5 stems, so why would they bother with 1.25?

Besides, the headtube is still the same on the frame. Only the fork steerer, upper headset cup and bearing are different. The Chameleon will eventually get a tapered headtube, just like the Blur LT2. The question is when.

·
Registered
24 Posts
why

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 1.5-.125 taper but you would think that using the standard taper HT's from their other alu bikes would be fairly easy to implement in their production run.
whats the big deal with the 1.25 cannondale had that in the 90's, its not like we need it again?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats the big deal with the 1.25 cannondale had that in the 90's, its not like we need it again?
I simply said it would be interesting to see how it goes, I didn't say I was interested in owning it! I personally like the tapered setup on my Nickel, I'm not advocating yet another "standard" coming out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts