Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I´m riding this bike.

Sc Chameleon in L, Rohloff Speedhup, QR, and Hope Mono M4.

My problem is that the rear wheel slips about 2mm to the left or the right. I´m braking, it goes the one way, after pedaling the other :madman: .It does not happen that fast, but ir does. My QR is fully closed, it´s one from Hope. If I close it much more, it´ll snap :D

I don´t like it :nono: .

The other thing is that I want to ditch the tensioner and use the horizontal dropouts with a single speed tensioner.
Which one is good, and will solve my problem?

The Rohloff speedub uses a special part one the left of the dropout, to hold the torque forces resulting when pedaling. It´s called "speedbone", it´s like a nipple on which the hub hold it´s self.

Come on guys - do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot!
Reno

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Get the surly chain tug

RenoRulez said:
Hey guys,

I´m riding this bike.

Sc Chameleon in L, Rohloff Speedhup, QR, and Hope Mono M4.

My problem is that the rear wheel slips about 2mm to the left or the right. I´m braking, it goes the one way, after pedaling the other :madman: .It does not happen that fast, but ir does. My QR is fully closed, it´s one from Hope. If I close it much more, it´ll snap :D

I don´t like it :nono: .

The other thing is that I want to ditch the tensioner and use the horizontal dropouts with a single speed tensioner.
Which one is good, and will solve my problem?

The Rohloff speedub uses a special part one the left of the dropout, to hold the torque forces resulting when pedaling. It´s called "speedbone", it´s like a nipple on which the hub hold it´s self.

Come on guys - do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot!
Reno
it has a spacer washer so you can use a quick release skewer.

here is the link, click on tuggnut
http://www.surlybikes.com/parts.html

(Edit) Or this one
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=260667

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thanks a lot.

I wonder how it works exactly, and how I wanna get my rear wheel out again?

Is it enought strong to resist the brake forces from my Mono M4?

What about chain lenght and disc? If my chain gets longer, I´ll put the wheel more to the rear. But will this also be ok with my discbrake?

Thanks guys!

Reno

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
You could try a bolt thru rear hub.
I'm using a 135x10mm bolt thru Hadley on my Nomad and works real nice. I did notice sometimes after jumping that the wheel had moved (even though it was tight with CK hub and Salsa quick release).
The bolt thru is very solid so far...
I have a few Chameleons and I have a similar problem - wheel moving (mainly on one). Will get another Hadley built soon, but those Surly things should work too.
Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:madman: sh!t! :mad:

I´ve tried to use the surly stuff - on both sides, as it looks better and the chain is better tensioned.

What happened? The stuff is too thick, the axle of the QR too short. Snapped my hope QR and a Shimano QR. :madmax:

Is any QR out there with a longer axle?

Thanks guys,

reno

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would stop by the bike store and get the strongest quick releases you can. Then crank them on with some kind of tool. Also you may have luck putting locktight between the quick release and the frame. I hope this helps.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
You might be able to use the new RWS qrs by DT by themselves and call it good. I had a great conversation with Dave at DT he commented that he was able to do away with the tugnuts on his sliding dropouts. According to them, the RWS qrs offer 50% more torque on the frame than regular qrs. DT is pretty reputable. Perhaps worth a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.