Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I got my chameleon set up as a ss. size medium 2002 frame, white, w/120mm fork. Pictures will be posted soon. i am really loving the geometry of the thing. my other bike, main ride, is a Rocky Mountain Slayer size 16.5". The rocky has less standover due to bb height and a shorter cockpit than the chameleon. chameleon feels a bit more stable on the downs, but obviosly without the 5" rear travel that the rocky has. What are other's riding as a full sus. bike and how does it compare to chameleon's geometry. i'm thinking my next fs frame may be a SC, as I like the geometry better on the chameleon..then again, i really like the high bb on the slayer, as it clears everything in it's path.

·
Registered
868 Posts
fishercat said:
so I got my chameleon set up as a ss. size medium 2002 frame, white, w/120mm fork. Pictures will be posted soon. i am really loving the geometry of the thing. my other bike, main ride, is a Rocky Mountain Slayer size 16.5". The rocky has less standover due to bb height and a shorter cockpit than the chameleon. chameleon feels a bit more stable on the downs, but obviosly without the 5" rear travel that the rocky has. What are other's riding as a full sus. bike and how does it compare to chameleon's geometry. i'm thinking my next fs frame may be a SC, as I like the geometry better on the chameleon..then again, i really like the high bb on the slayer, as it clears everything in it's path.
01ish Large SC Chameleon SS
Surly Instigator or 03 Marzocchi EXR fork, Stylo 180s, Avid Vs, etc.

04ish Large SC VPFree FR
04 888R or 05 Z1FR, DHX, Hope M4s, Holzfellers, etc.

05ish Large SC Blur XC
05 Marathon SL, RP3, Hope Minis, Stylos, etc.

03 58cm Felt F50 Road
Carbon fork, Ultegra other stuff, Cosmos

I have always like the way the SCs fit. I'm used to their handling and came from riding an 01ish Bullit with a Z1 MCR. I love the way my Chameleon fits, it has been one of my favorite bikes ever and one that I don't think I will part with.

·
Registered
581 Posts
G'day , i sort of nearly qualify for a reply. I havent yet recieved my Chamy frame but its only days away, Yay ! Although im somewhat of a SC fan, i also own a 03Bullit and 04Heckler, my Bullit is my main ride and my Heckler has been neglected for a while, oh yeh i also own a Giant Rincon as my Fitness/street/gym bike and another Giant ht on a Trainer, yep and im still Fat. Also Fishercat if you like the high BB on your bike you'll love the high BB on the 03-05 Bullit.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
fishercat said:
Originally I bought the first Chameleon to compliment my '03 SC Bullit. However, I have had since then, '03 Chameleon, '04 Chameleon, '04 Sugar 293, '04 Surly 1x1. Now I no longer have the Bullit. Actually, now all I do have is the Chameleon....and a road bike.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
fishercat said:
How do you like the Evil DOC?? was looking at that also when i bought the chameleon.
DOC is a sweet bike....head tube is more slack than the lizard which makes the TT feel shorter than it is, but for seat-slammed-down riding (I.E. DJ/Park/Urban/DH/ etc...) the thing rails. The BB is higher than the lizard so you can clear more, but it combined with the slack HT angle, you can still rail corners like the lizard. I have mine set with the CS length at 16, so I am not riding distances with it like I do the lizard, but it is a GREAT play-bike. If I am travelling and can take only one bike, I still take the lizard, though. I think if I could only have one bike, though, it would still be the lizard- its better all-around than the DOC since the DOC is more purpose built. I was thinking about looking at an Evil soverign, though, for an all-rounder but cant beat the sub-$500 price tag on the chameleon for the frame you get. Soverign is more like $800......

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
Large Chameleon (23.3TT) + 50mm stem & 5" Z1
Medium(?) Turner RFX (23TT) + 70mm stem & 6" Z1

No major re-adjusting to do when switching between bikes. I'm 5'11.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chameleon (05) Xl / Vanilla RLC (130 mm) I use this for allround ride in summer and as a main bike in winter (snow and ice rides with spikes).
Within a month or two SC Nomad/DHX air/Van36 rc2 (main bike for times without snow and ice)

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
05 Chameleon Polished...
05 Chameleon Black (in my other city)
05 Blur LT Black Ano (soon to be replaced by a Nomad)
04 VPFree Black Ano..

Thats all

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here's mine

03 Chameleon SS w/ Fox Talas (large)
05 Blur LT (large)
05 Specialized Tarmac (58cm)
03 Specialized Allez SS (58cm)
00 KX250 (one size fits all!)
05 Ski-doo Summit 800 (again, one size fits all!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's mine...

04 Chameleon w/Fox 125 RLC, Gun metal Grey
03 Heckler w/04 Z1FR, 2.25" 5th, Gloss Black

Itchin' for a VPFree...

·
Registered
303 Posts
04 Chameleon, Black, 05 Talas RLC, XO, Singletracks, Stylo, Hayes HFX

04 Jekyll 800, Sobe Green, Lefty Max, LX/XT, Hayes HFX 8"/6" (Might be ditching it. My chameleon is just so much more fun)

06 Six13 Team, Raw, Full Dura-ace, Zero Gravity Ti, Ksyrium SL, Hollowgram Si, K-Wing Carbon Bars, Time RXS Carbon, etc... 15lb flat with my heavy 230g Fizik Arione Team Colors.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.