Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Chameleon this week. I purchased the R package with 29" wheels. I was just looking at the specs on Santa Cruz website and my bike has different rims and saddle than what's supposed to be included in this package. I have a WTB Volt saddle on mine when it's supposed to be a WTB Silverado Race. I also have WTB I30 when the R package shows that the bike is supposed to have WTB I25 wheels. anyone have any idea why? seems like the Volt is a cheaper saddle and not too sure about the rims.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Picked up my Chameleon this week. I purchased the R package with 29" wheels. I was just looking at the specs on Santa Cruz website and my bike has different rims and saddle than what's supposed to be included in this package. I have a WTB Volt saddle on mine when it's supposed to be a WTB Silverado Race. I also have WTB I30 when the R package shows that the bike is supposed to have WTB I25 wheels. anyone have any idea why? seems like the Volt is a cheaper saddle and not too sure about the rims.
Volt is a common substitution. The rims might be a supply issue. I rather have the i30s over the i25s. I can't imagine many bikes shipping with i25s still.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd be stoked you got an actual complete bike! In all seriousness those swaps seem ok. The Volt is a good saddle and the rims are an upgrade if you're gonna run tires larger than 2.25".

·
Registered
619 Posts
As others have said, the i30 wheelset is an upgrade. The Chameleon should never have been spec’d with i25 in the first place, too narrow for what this bike was intended for.

The saddle is just a different shape. Do you think about the saddle while you’re riding? If you don’t then you’ve found the best saddle for you.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Their spec is subject to change without prior notice. You lucked out with the rims. And the saddle is personal preference and most people replace it with what they like anyway. It could be worse. You could have got lesser components for the same price.

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies!! I've been out of the game for so long so I'm not really up on all the new gear. After some further research I realized that this was an upgrade. 3 rides on that Volt saddle and zero pain so I can't complain. Even back when I rode 26" full suspensions I always wanted a Chameleon. 2 weeks ago I decided I was gonna get back into MTB'ing. walked into the bike shop and they had several of em. Had my choice in my size of either color and 27+ or 29" wheels. I didn't even realize there was a shortage of bikes, although I should have assumed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the replies!! I've been out of the game for so long so I'm not really up on all the new gear. After some further research I realized that this was an upgrade. 3 rides on that Volt saddle and zero pain so I can't complain. Even back when I rode 26" full suspensions I always wanted a Chameleon. 2 weeks ago I decided I was gonna get back into MTB'ing. walked into the bike shop and they had several of em. Had my choice in my size of either color and 27+ or 29" wheels. I didn't even realize there was a shortage of bikes, although I should have assumed.
So let's see your new pride and joy!
What color did you get? How do you like it?

On a side note, I purchased mine at the beginning of August and its outfitted with the same substitutions as yours.

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here she is...Loving the bike so far. I've hit the trails on it 3 out of the last 4 days and it's been a blast to ride. First time on a 29'er and I definitely made the right choice on wheel size. For those 5'7 like me, don't listen when they say a 29'er is too high. I have plenty of standover height on this medium.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,077 Posts
Had the same experiance when a buddy and I bought a Heckler and a Bronson at the same time and the parts on both bikes did not match the ones on SC website.

There is also a Chameleon specific thread here too.

Now have some fun and throw some dirt on that beauty. 🍻

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here she is...Loving the bike so far. I've hit the trails on it 3 out of the last 4 days and it's been a blast to ride. First time on a 29'er and I definitely made the right choice on wheel size. For those 5'7 like me, don't listen when they say a 29'er is too high. I have plenty of standover height on this medium. View attachment 1948950
She's a jewel!
Nice personal touch with the stem and grips too.

Enjoy that fine looking ride!

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She's been good to me so far. Picked her up last Wed when I took that pic. Been on the trails w her every day since. Only issue is the rear brake needs to be bled. Other than that she's a beast.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Everyone’s already said it - the component substitutions are no worse than published spec. The i30 rims however are a real bonus, as 30mm ID is the minimum Maxxis recommends for their Wide Trail tyres. You should have no problem running a 2.5” tyre on an i30 rim.

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everyone's already said it - the component substitutions are no worse than published spec. The i30 rims however are a real bonus, as 30mm ID is the minimum Maxxis recommends for their Wide Trail tyres. You should have no problem running a 2.5" tyre on an i30 rim.
I think I definitely lucked out!! Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.