Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had sooo many problems with my Santa Cruz Chameleon's dropouts. I have a top of the line am/fr build on there. I have problems with a apply my back brake with a lot of force, my rear tire will totally jerk to the left and get stuck rubbing against my chainstay. I work at a bike shop, and all the guys are stumped. I have my skewer (Salsa Ti) on as tight as it can go, which slows down the process, but after a couple rides, it'll be rubbing again. I use tires that are size 2.1-2.35, and the same problem on both sizes. I also have Chris King hubs, and when in a certain position, it gets to the point where i cannot freewheel. I have a 9speed, xo drivetrain. It sometimes gets crooked to the point where it rubs the fixing bold on my cassette into the frame. Should i do a bolt on axle? Fun Bolts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same thing happen, however not as often, and not as bad as yours sounds.

I'm running 2.35 Bling Bling Tires, Juicy 7 Rear Brake and a QR Hope Pro 2 Hub with Hope Skewer.

After particulary rough runs, or squirrily lands the wheel will be off to the left (always the left, never the right :skep: ), but not to the point where it affects the brakes/mech or rubs the chainstay.

I haven't bothered to do anything about mine, it doesn't happen very often, and not severe enough to warrent a bolt through hub. But that might be your only option.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

James.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It seems like the 'shoulders' on the inserts are not deep enough. If you have a shorter axle, it might be able to jump over the shoulder and shift. Because of that, I have had to keep my skewers rediculuously tight....

Now that I run it SS, though, it stays put with the stock Paul hub setup, though. Hope that helps, but if anyone from SC is listening, please make the dropout inserts for lizards sit a bit deeper in the dropout- my DT hub barely makes contact with the insert, so slippage is a possiblity with any hub that might have slightly shallower axles!

I didnt seem to notice this problem on my 2000 or 2003 Lizards, only on my current 2005.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For what it's worth. I don't have a chameleon but I had the same problem with my bullit. It ended up being the grooves on the quick release being ground down (You couldn't tell by looking at it.)
It drove me nuts and the bike shop but got a new quick release and problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.