Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a new set of 27.5+ 2.8 Nobby Nic's on my 2019 Chameleon. I have Knight Composite hoops that have a 45mm internal. I'm getting rub when cornering. I noticed that the frame has more clearance on the drive side than the non drive side because the rear triangle is thinner on that side for the chainring. Is that the same on all Chameleons or is the clearance the same on both sides? I also haven't switched the dropouts to the 27.5+ ones but I don't see that being the issue. Any ideas? Or is tire rub at 2.8 to be expected?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 27.5+ dropouts at home. I just didn't have them with me in Oregon where I got the tires. I'll have to put the new dropouts in and see if that makes a difference. Anything I should note while putting them in? I tried to find an install video on YouTube but didn't see one.....if I only knew a YouTuber to that could make a video on that.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a wheel project with Knight Composites and that's the only width they sell for 27.5+. I'll see what happens when I put the dropouts on. I'll try it tonight. Last night I just rode it with the 29er dropouts because I didn't have time to change it before the ride.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I did a wheel project with Knight Composites and that's the only width they sell for 27.5+. I'll see what happens when I put the dropouts on. I'll try it tonight. Last night I just rode it with the 29er dropouts because I didn't have time to change it before the ride.
Maybe you can dish the wheel a few mm in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the wheel builder was wondering if the wheels were supposed to be that way on the Chameleon and was looking it up. It appears the dish was offset on the stock wheel. We couldn't find anything that said it was supposed to be that way and by how much. Do you think something is wrong with my frame and it wasn't made correctly?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, the wheel builder was wondering if the wheels were supposed to be that way on the Chameleon and was looking it up. It appears the dish was offset on the stock wheel. We couldn't find anything that said it was supposed to be that way and by how much. Do you think something is wrong with my frame and it wasn't made correctly?
probably worth shooting them an email, with the wrong dropouts in place, you might be a tad too close, and the dropouts will line the tire up better, if it's still too close on one side, dishing is perfectly acceptable fix, I wouldn't assume the frame is built wrong, but its always possible the weld was a little hot!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
put a 29er wheel in there and see if it is centered. If it is not, then I would say there is something wrong with the frame. I've built several 29er wheels for my 2018 and none have required any offset to the dish.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Do you have your dropouts adjusted equally on both sides? Try winding them all the way in and see if you still get rub.
^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Make sure both dropouts are equal. I know if I don't have them perfect, one side will be closer to the frame than the other.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Make sure both dropouts are equal. I know if I don't have them perfect, one side will be closer to the frame than the other.
Somehow I missed this. I'll try that tonight when I swap the dropouts. I could see how with the wider wheel it's more noticeable. That doesn't explain the dish being off on the 29er wheel from the factory though. Either way, worth a shot before I go to the shop and look like a tard.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just in regards to the dropouts, I just remembered another thread where a Chameleon owner had issues with 29 dropouts fouling on the frame. Check this thread out: https://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/chameleon-29-alloy-dropouts-dont-extend-fully-1102680.html

If you are running the 29 dropouts and they've been wound out and are fouling against the frame like in that thread, chances are they might not be aligned, and why winding them all the way in would allow you to verify this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.