Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built up an '09 Chameleon. It has a Rockshox Recon 351 in 130mm on it. I have completely gone nuts for this bike. I'd rather ride it than anything else I have including my Blur LT1. So much so that I'm thinking of selling the BLT1 because I just don't know when I'd be tempted to ride it around my area (almost exclusively singletrack XC). My BLT1 has a Fox Float 140 RLC which is a somewhat lighter, more responsive fork than the Recon. If I sell the BLT1 I am thinking of swapping forks, but I don't want to mess up the perfect feel of the Chameleon as it is now. I know 10mm isn't a lot...how will it affect my Chameleon? Would you do the swap? Who is riding 130/140 and what are your impressions? Thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
You probably won't feel much difference. Play with the air pressure on Float, maybe run it with a bit more sag, making it effectively lower. If nothing else, you can put 10mm spacer inside the Float, making it 130mm travel fork.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Try swapping them out. I run King headset's on all my bikes so swapping is simple. If you don't have similar headsets then just remove and swap the crown races and swap forks.

Don't know until you try it out. I had a Fox 36 on my Chameleon and it felt good. Swapped it on to my Spot and it didn't feel as good as the Pike I had on there so I went back to the Pike.

But then, that's what I would do. I have the mechanical ability and the tools so it's easy for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I have both the tools and the skills to swap it out. I usually even press my own headsets. I may give it a try...if I decide I want to sell the BLT.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have an 05 Chameleon with a Pike U-Turn...bike feels great at both 130 and 140 (I have a little sag), Chameleon's geometry is pretty flexible

1 - 5 of 5 Posts