Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pretty popular topic, but I can't figure out what aspect of the chameleon's geometry(versus other bikes) that allows it to run so many different length forks. :p

Can someone "enlighten" me?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
intheways said:
This is a pretty popular topic, but I can't figure out what aspect of the chameleon's geometry(versus other bikes) that allows it to run so many different length forks. :p

I believe its due to a combination of the slack head tube angle and sloping top tube on the geometry side. the other thing that is important is the gussetting around the head tube junction which adds the strength needed to run the longer travel forks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
namaSSte said:
I believe its due to a combination of the slack head tube angle and sloping top tube on the geometry side. the other thing that is important is the gussetting around the head tube junction which adds the strength needed to run the longer travel forks.
I keep thinking about getting a Lizard( I ride my buddy's '03 to the point of his annoyance). I am curious about the head/seat tube geometry. On the current web-site it is listed as 69.7 & 71.7. It used to be 71 & 73. Did SC change it or are they listing it for a largest travel fork. I know the larger the fork travel the slacker the angle. If that the angle for a 80 degree fork it would be relly slacking with big fork. My buddy runs a Talus RLC which seems to make a pretty versatile FUN bike.

·
Cheesiest
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good deal! I just ordered a Manitou Black Platinum (Poor man's TALAS). I'm hoping it works well.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I run a Minute One (same a - to - c) on mine, and it feels great at any setting. It's a really good climber or jumper in 100 mm mode, and just gobbles up any and every descent in 130 mm. You'll like it a lot, but the stiffness of the frame will accentuate the flexiness of the fork. Don't get me wrong, it's a stiff fork, but it doesn't compare to its larger-stanchion-ed (and heavier) brethren.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
SDizzle said:
I run a Minute One (same a - to - c) on mine, and it feels great at any setting. It's a really good climber or jumper in 100 mm mode, and just gobbles up any and every descent in 130 mm. You'll like it a lot, but the stiffness of the frame will accentuate the flexiness of the fork. Don't get me wrong, it's a stiff fork, but it doesn't compare to its larger-stanchion-ed (and heavier) brethren.
I wondered how you liked that Minute. The Sherman has been a really great compliment to the stiffness of the Lizard. Glad I went that route. Are you keeping your Zokes around as well or is it strictly the Minute for you now?

Moving Mountain: I think (stress, think) the Liz is built around a 5" fork and for a change of one inch of fork height (a-c) you'll yield roughly a 1 degree change in headtube angle.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
namaSSte said:
I wondered how you liked that Minute. The Sherman has been a really great compliment to the stiffness of the Lizard. Glad I went that route. Are you keeping your Zokes around as well or is it strictly the Minute for you now?
No, I sold the Z1 when I bought the Minute - one bike begets one fork, eh? Now, though, I'm holding out for Zoke's 2005 'All Mountain' line. Like lighter Z1s, with proper travel adjustment and Zoke-branded SPV. Marzocchi's damping is damn near superior to everything I've ever used, though Manitou's is a close second...it's pretty personal, I 'spose, but the new Zokes just look too sick to pass up!

·
Cheesiest
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree

I ordered a Black Platinum, but Performance shipped a Black Elite. After seeing some pictures of the All Mountain, I am going to hold out for it. I love my MX Comp, but I just want more travel and stiffness. :)

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Can't enlighten you on on hard numbers but

intheways said:

I can say my Chameleon climbs like an XC racer and flys down the rough nasty as fast as a lot of longer travel bikes with an 80mm RLT, now if only I could stop blowing up rear wheels.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
"now if only I could stop blowing up rear wheels."

Yep, those rear ends are stiff and very hard on wheels. I folded several XC wheels on the chameleons I have owned. Best bet is to either keep the rear in check (and inline whith the front) or run a robust rim.

·
Registered
45 Posts
dsb1829 said:
"now if only I could stop blowing up rear wheels."

Yep, those rear ends are stiff and very hard on wheels. I folded several XC wheels on the chameleons I have owned. Best bet is to either keep the rear in check (and inline whith the front) or run a robust rim.
I'm a pertty heavy guy (110 k) and the xm 719 on the back wheel of my Chameleon is going fine. never had to true it in two months of hard riding. I'ts probably not has light hs a pure XC rim but it ain't that heavy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts