Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is SC going to make a fat tire version of the Chameleon? Something that can handle 5 inch tires....

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
Like the other guy said. Hopefully never. While I do find fat bikes interesting they are extremely niche and there is not a need for a ton of them out there. I honestly would like to see a TR version on the tallboy and I think that would fit many more people's riding style

G

·
Like the other guy said. Hopefully never. While I do find fat bikes interesting they are extremely niche and there is not a need for a ton of them out there.
5yrs ago fat was niche, however no longer like them or not. Why is there no need for a ton?? Expand your vision and think people are enjoying them, people are out riding in snow when typically they would wait for spring time thaw then ride. FAT is becoming mainstream with the numerous brands, increase in tire manuf brands etc so instead of turning your nose up sit your behind on one and take a spin.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ive rode a few fat bikes and they were full hard tail. It was different but fun! I wonder what a short full travel bike would be like? Hard tail or some squish....I think it would be cool. what would be a good name? Santa Cruz Goon? Gnargnar? Gila Monster? Twerker? Porker? haha

G

·
Ive rode a few fat bikes and they were full hard tail. It was different but fun! I wonder what a short full travel bike would be like? Hard tail or some squish....I think it would be cool. what would be a good name? Santa Cruz Goon? Gnargnar? Gila Monster? Twerker? Porker? haha
Lots of folks have already gone front suss in various ways and quote additional fun factor is had. Personally i've been waiting for a mass produced full squishy unit but as of yet nada. There's been a few custom full squish along with a few DIY transformed units for those with the know how and access to machinery to do such a project.

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
I understand what you are saying Fat is becoming more mainstream. I more so meant by my comment that the "nitche " is being filled by many small manufactures and they are doing a great job of it at good prices as well. Most of the major big bike companies have made a pretty half ass attempts to making fat bikes.

I say all of this having considered a fat bike myself and if I found a place for one I will buy one

G

·
I understand what you are saying Fat is becoming more mainstream. I more so meant by my comment that the "nitche " is being filled by many small manufactures and they are doing a great job of it at good prices as well. Most of the major big bike companies have made a pretty half ass attempts to making fat bikes.
ahhhh i see your angle, sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
the "nitche " is being filled by many small manufactures and they are doing a great job of it at good prices
I would tend to agree, and initially got a chuckle out of the idea of a SC fat bike as well. Then it occurred to me that a carbon Highball fat bike (with 100mm BB and 190mm rear spacing) would actually be pretty appealing. :idea:

The small manufacturers have begun venturing into carbon, but collectively they still have a fraction of the experience in composites that Santa Cruz does. I'd love to drop a few pounds in frame weight from my Moonlander, but am in no hurry to spend a couple grand on a mom & pop company's first carbon bike. I'd spring for a <3lb. carbon "Fatball" in a heartbeat though.

Haters gonna hate, all I know is I've been outside riding several times a week through a fairly brutal New England winter thanks to my fat bike. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts