Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of biulding up a 2002 Chameleon and I want to run disc. I've got the adapter, but what I'm wondering is what Hydraulic disc will work on this with how the rear mount is. I was originally going to run some Avid Mechanicals, and still may decide on them. I read through all the post in this topic dealing with it and didn't get anything specific other then I'd have to loop the cable like the rear derailleur on the Avids. Any suggestions on a specific disc brake for this bike.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
icamp said:
I'm in the process of biulding up a 2002 Chameleon and I want to run disc. I've got the adapter, but what I'm wondering is what Hydraulic disc will work on this with how the rear mount is. I was originally going to run some Avid Mechanicals, and still may decide on them. I read through all the post in this topic dealing with it and didn't get anything specific other then I'd have to loop the cable like the rear derailleur on the Avids. Any suggestions on a specific disc brake for this bike.
The Hayes Mags will work with no problem. Any brake that allows you to rotate the banjo fitting will make installation a breeze.

I would skip the Avid mechs. I know it has been done, but the Hydros seem to go together easier.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go Hydro

The Avids are great breaks, but they have doe nothing but piss me off running them on a chameleon with an adaptor. They are a pain to adjust in the upside down postion, the location pretty much mandates running full housings to keep clean cables, and with the funky bend you still wear through housing and cables quickly. Make your life simple and go witht the hydros and get that extra hour on the trails every month.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've got the Avid Mechs. on my other bike so I was familiar with them is why I was thinking about running them. After more thinking and these post, I'm going to run hydraullics. I'm looking at the Juicy 7's or 5's. Those arent definate choices on the brakes, I'm just going to do some more research on the brakes before I buy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.