Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really planning to use avids on my new (to me) 2002 chameleon frame i just bought but heard there is a problem using them on the 2002 frames due to the placement of the disk adapter on the rear. What are other running for brakes on their older chameleons? I hate to go back to rim brakes and would rather not go with hydraulic.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can use the mechs but you might have to shave a bit off the adapter. I did this to some 2003 avids and they worked just fine. The newer generation avids might not have to have any adjustment. Call SC and ask what your choices are for rear disc brakes. They told me awhile back but I do not remember. If you have the avids give them a try!

·
Registered
856 Posts
fishercat said:
I was really planning to use avids on my new (to me) 2002 chameleon frame i just bought but heard there is a problem using them on the 2002 frames due to the placement of the disk adapter on the rear. What are other running for brakes on their older chameleons? I hate to go back to rim brakes and would rather not go with hydraulic.
The cable routing can be a pain, since avids assume that the brake is mounted on the top of the wheel. The chameleon, having horizontal track ends, works better with the brake mounted under the wheel (so that braking forces pull the axel into the track ends rather than out of them). You will have to run a loop of cable around like you would on a rear derailleur.

A lot of people opt for hydraulics that have a "spinnable" banjo bolt on them (so that you can make the cable come out the other side). Hopes are like that, old G1 calipers for Hayes work this way. I have run Hopes, the old Hayes and Vs on my cameleon. If you are running SS the Vs are the best options since the brake adapter doesn't work with single speeds very well. Otherwise you can pretty much run anything you can mount down there. I have seen Avids mounted... they just end up with a big loop in the back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.