Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I been riding a Chameleon for 2 season and frickin love it. It does XC, DJ, freeride, you name it. The geometry is spot on, and it handles like a dream. There's one problem though. My old bones are getting beat up by this sooper stiff hardtail. I've messed w/ tire combos and air pressures, and the fact is, my body just can't take it.

I've been looking for a while for an FS "Chameleon", so to speak, and it looks like the Blur 4x might be the answer. The biggest problem that I can see is the head angle. SC's website used to list the Chameleon's HA as 69*, but now it's 69.7*. If that's the case, then I'd basically be going down 2 degrees w/ the 4x (4x has a 68.5* HA w/ a 4" fork, and I'd be putting an '03 Z1 FR on it).

Is there anybody in here that's ridden both bikes that can comment. I know the Blur LT is an option, but I really don't want/need that much travel or bike. I love the smaller, tighter package of the 4x. This bike would see 70% trail riding, w/ the rest being DJs and freeriding.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
bagtagley said:
So, I been riding a Chameleon for 2 season and frickin love it. It does XC, DJ, freeride, you name it. The geometry is spot on, and it handles like a dream. There's one problem though. My old bones are getting beat up by this sooper stiff hardtail. I've messed w/ tire combos and air pressures, and the fact is, my body just can't take it.

I've been looking for a while for an FS "Chameleon", so to speak, and it looks like the Blur 4x might be the answer. The biggest problem that I can see is the head angle. SC's website used to list the Chameleon's HA as 69*, but now it's 69.7*. If that's the case, then I'd basically be going down 2 degrees w/ the 4x (4x has a 68.5* HA w/ a 4" fork, and I'd be putting an '03 Z1 FR on it).

Is there anybody in here that's ridden both bikes that can comment. I know the Blur LT is an option, but I really don't want/need that much travel or bike. I love the smaller, tighter package of the 4x. This bike would see 70% trail riding, w/ the rest being DJs and freeriding.
The head angle would slack out a little more with a 5" Z1......not necessarily a bad thing. Plus you can lock down your fork for climbing if you find the head angle too slack for steep climbs.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
94 Posts
4x does everything well except downhill (not enough travel), and seriously it´s not going to be too slack unless you are a true xc rider who should be looking more towards something else. This bike was designed to do the things you listed, get a PIKE instead of the Z1 so you can run it steeper if you want. I`m of to ride mine now :) .

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a Cham and 4x now

I only have a few rides under my belt on it, but my Blur 4x (large) rides really nice and I feel really comfortable on it already. I also have a Chameleon (medium) and the transition was really easy between the two. I've always had the Cham set up as a fun, bmx/street/dirt jumping bike and I set up the 4x as my main trail riding bike that can do everything (within reason, of course). I think if I was going for a straight replacement of the Cham, I probably would have gotten a medium 4x (I'm 5'10" BTW), but as it is the large w/ a 70mm (vs a 90mm on the Cham) feels really good. While the 4x does have a really slack headtube angle, I wouldn't worry about it much, unless you're looking for a bike to just ride/race XC on, which you said you're not. I think the 4x would really work well for what you're looking for.

Let me know if you have any specific questions that I can try and answer.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dunno.... Haven't ridden a newer chameleon or compared the specs to mine. I know the seat posts are diffferent sizes, but I'm not sure if the geometry changed any between mine (an '02, I think) and the newer ones.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
sreiman said:
is that a 03 chameleon? does it ride differently then the new 05's?
I had a '01 Chameleon, '03 Chameleon(pre change) and now a '04 Chameleon. I can tell that there is a slight difference in ride quality.

The older Chameleons seemed to ride a bit smoother. YOu have a tendancy to run a lot of seat post on the Chameleon. When the seatpost diameter was 27.2 you would get a little more flex outta the post than you do with the newer 30.9 posts. Also the intersection of the seatstays and the seattube are quite a bit beefier on the newer models, so it seems a bit stiffer. Don't know if the gussets on the headtube make it ride any different. I have never run a fork longer than 130mm on one.

mtnbikej

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.