Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are one of the folks who has the audacity to look down upon downhillers, please take a moment on your next cross country ride to complete this challenge:

1. Climb uphill

2. Get ready to go downhill. This includes lowering the seat and putting bike in a big gear (you don't need to sit down when you're sprinting).

3. Ride downhill following the rules set forth.

Rules:

-If you aren't either turning or going through a rock garden, you are pedalling!

-When you are pedalling, you are sprinting. No dilly dallying around.

-Don't stop until you reach the bottom.

Thank you for playing my game and get ready for a shift in perspective.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
beacon said:
If you are one of the folks who has the audacity to look down upon downhillers, please take a moment on your next cross country ride to complete this challenge:

-If you aren't either turning or going through a rock garden, you are pedaling!

-When you are pedaling, you are sprinting. No dilly dallying around.

You have to pedal ?? Even in my biggest rings, all 27, I'm just spinning air on the DH side of my '"xc" trails if I'm"'trying" to pedal in my 44/11 highest gearing. Its just better to get in a tight tuck and go twice as fast, less wind resistance. I got pulled over and given a warning from the first "Bike Ranger" I've ever seen on the Foothills Trail in Ft.Collins, last week for riding "too" fast, even though I pointed out I had clear sight for over 100 yds.

By a friends computer, we've hit 40mph+ many times on some pretty tight, twisty, "buff" ST around the state.

I don't huck big jumps or sail across huge gaps at 53 1/2 yrs old, but I'm not a brake hugger either. I'm suffering more every year on the climbs, just to enjoy the DH.

Just ride the way you like, "Props Bro" or something like that. (Especially since it's your first post.)

I have no problem with resort style DH, something I'd never try, but I do have a prob w/a DH'r trying their "Skillz" on a multi-use Front Range "Urban" trail.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Sorry, I'm not a DH'r

joelalamo45 said:
Try watching a video of World Cup DH racing and realize that thos eguys pedal their asses off...
AT 53 yrs old , all I know is trying to pedal a 44/11 gearing on my xc trails isn't going to do anything on the DH side. You guys must be rolling some really huge gear ratios.

In the meantime, my first MTB back in '84 had a 17/34 low end for those really, long, steep climbs.Talk about a granny ! This was long before "cassettes" became the fashion and everyman could customize his ride for nothing and suspensions hadn't even been invented It was rigid and weighed "almost" 25 lbs, but I got to ride where "No Man Has Gone Before" before MTB became KUWL..

I rode it everywhere. Fast/ slow.

Try riding a fixie on your "Gnar".

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
WKD-RDR said:
Liquor stores are now open on Sundays, starting tomorrow!
I'd be curious to know what changess with respect to productivity at the work place there will be from tomorrow on :drumroll:

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Walt Disney's Frozen Head said:
So true.

Check this out, video feed kinda sketchy but damn... fast mothaf^*&^#

and he's wearing spandex :)
I'm not sure what kind of stature Sam Hill has, but did you notice how WIDE his bars are? They look like moto trials bars!

·
Registered
140 Posts
This "XC vs. DH" crap is getting really tiring.

Pau11y said:
I'm not sure what kind of stature Sam Hill has, but did you notice how WIDE his bars are? They look like moto trials bars!
28" is a pretty common width for DH bars. That said, I switched from 26" bars to 29" bars and noticed an immediate improvement, both climbing and descending.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
beacon said:

1. Climb uphill

2. Get ready to go downhill. This includes lowering the seat and putting bike in a big gear (you don't need to sit down when you're sprinting).

3. Ride downhill following the rules set forth.

Rules:

-If you aren't either turning or going through a rock garden, you are pedalling!

-When you are pedalling, you are sprinting. No dilly dallying around.

-Don't stop until you reach the bottom.

Thank you for playing my game and get ready for a shift in perspective.
I've been lurking on this topic of DH vs. XC for a while now. PEOPLE, it's two completely different sports! You're making a comparison between what would be equivalent of mogul skiing to skate-skiing. Just because it's done on a bike (or skis), doesn't mean it's apples to apples! This is why ppl who excel at either cross-train with the other! DH = 110% max heart rate + adrenalin for very short time; XC = 85 - 90% max heart rate + stratospheric levels of pain tolerance for longer; NOT EVEN THE SAME!
Here's one example of ppl who excel:
Back a few years ago (say about 12...), there was a guy on the pro XC circuit named Jimmy Deaton (I think it was his name...but don't hold me to that). He showed up at Steamboat's Town Challenge DH race (ok, back then it was more like a downhill XC race...when HTs had the advantage) and smoked EVERYONE, even some semi-pro DH guys! This was, I think in large, due to the fact that his anabolic threshold was far beyond all the XC ppl, and his aerobic fitness was WAY beyond all the DH ppl. He did that race on a Ti GT hardtail. He out-pedal'd and out-breath'd everyone there! Remember when Tomac came back and did a Pro DH race after his retirement? Same story right? Hell, I ride road even and I KNOW it helps w/ my breathing while XCing, AND pedally DH lines!
So instead of thinking whatever the hell you do is the bee's knees, can we put this thing to bed and argue about more important things, like where the best green chili smothered burritos can be found?
:thumbsup:

Edit: Tomac won the 2004 Kamikaze

.......__o
.......\ \,
....( )/ ( )

1,328 Posts
Pau11y said:
UCI Mountain Bike & Trials World Championships

3rd, Downhill

2nd, Downhill

1st, Downhill

1st, Downhill

Decent resume...

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Walt Disney's Frozen Head said:

3rd, Downhill

2nd, Downhill

1st, Downhill

1st, Downhill

Decent resume...
No no, I meant physical size. I know the guy's a phenom on a DH bike...smoother and faster than a bat-outta-hell!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.