Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
All Mountain all the way
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a challenge for you! I have just moved to Colorado, and am looking forward to taking advantage of the trails around here. I used to Mountain Bike from 1992 to 1996 and started again in 2007, but due to my job, had little time to pursue it. Now I have some free time with a new job so I'm looking to get back into it.

I am 6'1" and weigh 260 lbs with a 30" inseam. I'll likely get down to around 220 to 225 lbs over the next 6 months.

I'm looking for a bike that can go pretty much anywhere. I don't plan to ride very fast, but I do want to be able to go over rough terrain. I'm more into the challenge of climbing uphill (partly to take off the weight), but also want to have a bike that's good at riding downhill.

Here's the rub. I'm also looking for a bike that I can use for some basic riding on the road (but not as often as offroad), and also want to be able to do some offroad bike touring. So I need a bike that can handle a lot of weight and has the fixtures for front and rear racks.

I'm hoping to spend less then $1,000 but may consider spending more if I'm convinced it's worth it. Here's the other thing: if anybody knows of a dual suspension bike that can do all of the above I'd be willing to spend over $2,000, I just don't think it exists.

I don't want a 38lb bike, but it doesn't have to be very light either. Durability would be more important then weight. I like to head for obstacles and run them over, so I can be rough on my bike.

Please keep the advice coming! Oh yeah, I'll be replacing the pedals with platform pedals, and also want the most comforable seat I can possibly choose. I'll replace both of those items on whatever bike I purchase.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
272 Posts
i live in denver, 5'10", 260 at the start of every season, i ride a 2009 giant trance x2. got it in 09 closeout for $2250. LOVE this bike. i havent maxed the rear shock out at all. it is way more bike than i am rider. the other option i had at the time of purchase was a santa cruz heckler.

my advice, is go to a bunch of shops, throw a leg over, and go ride em. go to a demo day if you can, and wait for a close out! if you do go hardtail, id reccomend a 29'r, though i dont have any specific reccomendations.

what part of town are you in? sheridan and dartmouth, there is a shop caled Mojo. talk to Bob. he is a real passionate bike guy. i purchased from westside cycles near colfax and wadsworth.

hope this helps. lemme know if you wanna go ride sometime.
joe
seven2o, 879/twenty2oh3

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
First off, there is no such thing as a good suspension bike with racks. You'd need the weight you're carrying to be suspended, and there isn't really a good way to do that. Second, it doesn't sound to me like you want a singlespeed - even if you found a gear that works for off road riding, and were ok single speeding on the road, the gearing you'd want for either would almost certainly be different. I can't imagine carrying touring gear on a singlespeed would be pleasant.

First bike that comes to mind for what you say you want to do is a Salsa Fargo (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=39795&category=3707). If I were buying, I'd try to find a 2010 model, they had I think a better component pick.

·
All Mountain all the way
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zukrider said:
i live in denver, 5'10", 260 at the start of every season, i ride a 2009 giant trance x2. got it in 09 closeout for $2250. LOVE this bike. i havent maxed the rear shock out at all. it is way more bike than i am rider. the other option i had at the time of purchase was a santa cruz heckler.

my advice, is go to a bunch of shops, throw a leg over, and go ride em. go to a demo day if you can, and wait for a close out! if you do go hardtail, id reccomend a 29'r, though i dont have any specific reccomendations.

what part of town are you in? sheridan and dartmouth, there is a shop caled Mojo. talk to Bob. he is a real passionate bike guy. i purchased from westside cycles near colfax and wadsworth.

hope this helps. lemme know if you wanna go ride sometime.
joe
seven2o, 879/twenty2oh3
I'll be moving to Pueblo before I purchase my bike so I'll likely check out the shops down there. I agree I'll need to test some bikes out to get a feel for them. But I'm really hoping to narrow down my choices before I go to pick my bike out. Having too many options before I go shopping can cause me to procrastinate on my decision.

·
All Mountain all the way
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joules said:
First off, there is no such thing as a good suspension bike with racks. You'd need the weight you're carrying to be suspended, and there isn't really a good way to do that. Second, it doesn't sound to me like you want a singlespeed - even if you found a gear that works for off road riding, and were ok single speeding on the road, the gearing you'd want for either would almost certainly be different. I can't imagine carrying touring gear on a singlespeed would be pleasant.

First bike that comes to mind for what you say you want to do is a Salsa Fargo (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=39795&category=3707). If I were buying, I'd try to find a 2010 model, they had I think a better component pick.
Thanks for helping to narrow things down. So basically I shouldn't bother looking at dual suspension bikes, they won't meet my needs. I didn't see any that would work but I figured I'd ask in case there was something I missed.

Great point about carrying a ton of gear with a single speed, and also the fact that I'd really need a different gear ratio for roads vs. off road if I went single speed. That just won't work for me. Let me check out your suggestion. Thanks, you've really helped narrow down my choices which is great!

·
All Mountain all the way
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay....wow....this bike looks awesome! $1650 is higher then I hoped to spend, but not neccesarily out of the question. I don't like the idea of a drop bar though. I like to ride in a relaxed position so I'd probably prefer a riser bar. I wonder if I could get that changed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.