Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to google maps and drop a pin on the nearest DIRT singletrack trailhead. The trail must be at least 3 miles long and one that offers *actual* mountain biking, redact as necessary to protect the guilty:

0.3 miles. I chose pretty well :). That's a trailhead to a current 12 mile loop with a little bit of everything.

Attachments

·
Cycologist
10,359 Posts
About 7 miles of trail plus another 3 miles on the "flats" along the river. If you want to add in multiuse paved trail past there, can ride all the way to 'Bama.

Brown Text Black World Map

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

Nature Vegetation Deciduous Natural landscape Natural environment

Reactions: knutso

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't get it.
Just drop a pin? Then what. What does it take to win the challenge?

What constitutes "actual mountain bike riding". That's bee a long time internet debate about what real MTB riding is. Beginners have different perceptions than novice riders.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I don't get it.
Just drop a pin? Then what. What does it take to win the challenge?

What constitutes "actual mountain bike riding". That's bee a long time internet debate about what real MTB riding is. Beginners have different perceptions than novice riders.
Relax, this isn't the thread for you, just ignore it.

Here is the shortest from my home, not too bad around 4.5miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interested in seeing how close people live to riding, that’s all. Sometimes a challenge doesn’t come with a trophy :) but I’ll give you a participators award if you play along ;)

·
well mannered lout
3,334 Posts
I have trails at the house. No, I'm not showing anyone here exactly where they are. It's about 75' from my back door to the old stagecoach road that accesses my single track. From my garage where our bikes are it's more like 150'. My private trails then connect to single track at a town property they purchased from the YMCA and then to the Shenipsit Trail and state forest land.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
End of my driveway to singletrack is about 20 feet, or however wide a road is. :)
Access to plenty of local stuff. Also, the 92 mile long Midstate trail passes nearby (about 500' into the woods), it can be used to connect to more riding than I'm likely to ever need.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Also too lazy to post map pics... and no trails out of my back door, but close enough to keep me happy.

(those of you in North Texas will recognize these)

the closest...
Knobb Hills, 8 miles away
Corinth Community, 8 miles away
North Shore, 11 miles away
and another 200+ miles of single track trails within 15-40 miles or so...

·
Professional Crastinator
6,596 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,137 Posts
2600' from the front of my garage to the closest trailhead for access to a system with 22 miles of trail. Another 3 miles beyond that is the access to an additional 75 miles of trail.
I see you included the Devils Backbone in that mileage.

My trail mileage availability is the same as yours but my drive time [or ride miles] to the trail head is different.

Text White Line Font Black-and-white

Quality trails in scenic surroundings Colorado.

·
Raleigh
362 Posts
I'm not interested in trails closer to me (10 & 20mins away) so I go a bit further...

Blue Green Colorfulness Yellow Red

... and after a bit of road and gravel, I'm warmed up for some singletrack.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
I don't feel comfortable posting a map, but from my house it's less than 1/2 mile to singletrack.

My area connects 80+ miles of singletrack through residential neighborhood greenbelts and city parks. A few road sections mean you have to pedal pavement for a few blocks sometimes, but it's 99% trail.

If you head north, there's the Barton Creek Greenbelt as well.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm 3.8 miles from about 10 miles of rocky singletrack and just a little over 4 miles from a secret, locals only, "these trails don't exist" type of place.

On top of that, there's at least a dozen trail systems within an hour drive or less. Not too shabby.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.