Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you missed the "Putting Money On Your Post" thread over on the Political -Socio-Economic-Religion board (F88), one of our regulars who is currently hiding behind the moniker "Billy Budd" challenged us to come up with two charities to which he/she normally wouldn't contribute, and promised to donate $100 to each of them if we could come up with that much ourselves. After several worthy suggestions, "Billy" opted to donate to THREE, not two charities (good on ya, Billy!), nominated by some of our worthy F88ers.

So, now Billy has asked me to invite you Passion regulars to join us. We've set up a Paypal account to collect donations for us. If you're a Paypal-phobe and would rather write a check, PM me and I'll send you my mailing address. You don't have to kick in much. If all you can do is the cost of a bottle of chain lube, that's great. If you can do more, that's great too. It all counts. I'll keep us posted on how much we've collected and will turn the screws, if necessary.

Here's what our money buys:

THE HEIFER PROJECT: Nominated by Wasatch Walt. This non-profit organization helps people in developing parts of the world become self-sufficient by providing them with a heifer, a water buffalo, goats, etc. that they can use as the foundation for their own farms. Once the animals are of age, their young are passed along to other Heifer Project recipients, taking the cycle forward. As part of the project, recipients are taught animal husbandry and provided with basic veternary services.

$250 from us will buy a water buffalo for a family and $500 will by a heifer. Of course, any water buffalo will have to be named Nuboy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PARTNERS IN HEALTH: Nominated by newbie MtbRN, who sez: "They provide basic health care services to people in places like Haiti... truly the poorest of the poor. The founder, Paul Farmer, is a remarkable person. Read the book on the website "Mountains Beyond Mountains" and you will never again doubt that one person can make a HUGE difference in the world."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ANTISLAVERY.ORG Nominated by Nuboy, who's been telling us about these folks for years. This group works to abolish modern slavery which is a big problem worldwide - including here in the United States. Check out their website. It's pretty frightening stuff. As little as $40 can free a Sudanese slave and provide them with the wherewithal to start trying to build their life... Billy Budd's initial contribution may already mean freedom for two people. Surely we can free a few more?

Let's put our cynicism aside and work together for something good. We did it after Katrina... and thanks to all of the folks from Passion who helped us build a new bike for a Katrina victim who'd lost his brand new ride in the hurricane. Billy's given us another opportunity to demonstrate that we're more than just bike geeks... we're generous bike geeks who really are capable of seeing the bigger picture.

TIA!
MG

PS - sorry about the funky spacing... something to do with the Paypal code.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The elementary school I work at raised almost $4000 for the Heifer project. It's a well organized group. The kids really enjoyed learning about and choosing what kind of animals they wanted to "buy".

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GuruAtma said:
The elementary school I work at raised almost $4000 for the Heifer project. It's a well organized group. The kids really enjoyed learning about and choosing what kind of animals they wanted to "buy".
Heh. We need to keep working then if we're going to keep up with the schoolkids!

Just checked this morning (1/17) and we're up to $900! Pretty good stuff - I really appreciate the Passion People who've kicked in to this. You guys are great!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
zenmonkey said:
So what did they do to raise the 4K?

I'd like to suggest you all put a likn in your signature ;) like this ....
We did a Valentine Delivery service and a walk-a-thon. It was in response to the tsunami in Indonesia, and Heifer was recommended to us as a good cause. It was easier for the kids to visualize how they were helping. They have great educational materials for kids. My class learned a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GuruAtma said:
We did a Valentine Delivery service and a walk-a-thon. It was in response to the tsunami in Indonesia, and Heifer was recommended to us as a good cause. It was easier for the kids to visualize how they were helping. They have great educational materials for kids. My class learned a lot.
Hi all

Posting this in both forums.....

So what's next? Let close this up! As 'MountainGirl' has suggested by end of Monday 22nd, if you want to give do so, we'll end the cycle, clean house and ..... run off to Las Vegas together. ;) No seriously, then get the money to the organisations. So if your gonna give with us, give now before it's too late. You can always give by yourself, but this also about a community, our on-line community.

So Monday is it, you peeps!

the thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2638481#poststop

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update Sunday 1/21

Hi, all -

A quick update for you - we're at over $1200 collected for our three charities! At this point I haven't gone through to determine the money each will receive, but I can tell you that all three will receive respectable contributions from our mountainbiking community.

You guys are great for kicking in to this. As Billy Budd said, we'll be wrapping this up Monday evening, and I'll have totals for you on Tuesday.

MG

·
occasionally good
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The totals!

Hey, everybody - the results are in, and we kicked ass!

Between the F88ers and the Passion people we raised a total of $1570 for our three charities - that's pretty darned cool, if you ask me.

Here's how it breaks down:

Heifer: $870 (we can buy a water buffalo AND a heifer!)

Antislavery: $420 (that's 10 newly freed people or a step in the right direction towards changing laws that are long overdue for change)

Partners In Health: $280 (it's surprising how much good health can be created with a donation like this!)

Anyway, I've received the checks from those of you who PM'd me about donating that way. I'll be cleaning out the Paypal account and writing checks to these organizations for these amounts, with earmarks where discussed.

Thanks again, everybody - now back to your regularly scheduled program. :thumbsup:

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Mountaingirl1961 said:
As Billy Budd said, we'll be wrapping this up Monday evening, and I'll have totals for you on Tuesday.
I've removed the sticky here on Passion.

Well done to all those involved in both the organization & donation to these charities!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.