Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after logging about 50 miles or so on the new Hardtail I started getting chainsuck while in my middle ring. The thing is, it only seems to happen when I start to ride/bring up a wheelie. I dont notice any skipping/jamming/unusual noises while riding, even when hard on the pedals

Here is my drivetrain setup;

XT Crankset (9spd OG hollowtech) w/ Blackspire Big Ring Protector
Sram Powerlink 8spd chain
HG-50 11-30 8spd Cassette
XT 9spd RD

I really cant figure this one out guys :madman:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bobby12many said:
BTW, crankset/RD has about 2 seasons of decent thrashing, everything else is less new
So your saying your crankset/rd is over two seasons old and the other parts are older?
Is it a new chain?

do you have drivetrain parts that are in different stages of wear. Just a thought.

·
Gears, beers and slices..
316 Posts
Here's a simple solution that usually works: get a round file and quickle de-bur each tooth of the chain-ring by spinning the file in the groove. Don't bring it across the teeth, just put it in the groove and rotate the file. It gets rid of any little hooks or burs, and lets the chain run off the teeth cleaner. The whole process should take about a minute - just a quick zip over each tooth.

It's especially effective on new drivetrains, and even when putting a new chain on an old chainring.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
El_Duderino said:
So your saying your crankset/rd is over two seasons old and the other parts are older?
Is it a new chain?

do you have drivetrain parts that are in different stages of wear. Just a thought.
Im sorry, I didnt realize how poorly worded that was.

My crankset and rear derailleur have seen 2 seasons of use. everything else in the drivetrain is new and has only seen 50-60 miles max.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pizza_Royale said:
Here's a simple solution that usually works: get a round file and quickle de-bur each tooth of the chain-ring by spinning the file in the groove. Don't bring it across the teeth, just put it in the groove and rotate the file. It gets rid of any little hooks or burs, and lets the chain run off the teeth cleaner. The whole process should take about a minute - just a quick zip over each tooth.

It's especially effective on new drivetrains, and even when putting a new chain on an old chainring.

I will try that tommorow if I get a chance, thank you for the advice!.

On that note, Could chainring wear be a cause of the chainsuck? I just figured as the rings wore out the chain would be even less prone to this type of thing. :confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
It can be a cause

Bobby12many said:
I will try that tommorow if I get a chance, thank you for the advice!.

On that note, Could chainring wear be a cause of the chainsuck? I just figured as the rings wore out the chain would be even less prone to this type of thing. :confused:
It can be a cause. I had chain suck on a bike and replacing the granny and the middle rings eliminated it. The rings were maybe 1 1/2 old.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zyzbot said:
I can be a cause. I had chain suck on a bike and replacing the granny and the middle rings eliminated it. The rings were maybe 1 1/2 old.

thats all I could really attribute it to at this point.

Just to be sure it wasnt crud/lack of lube in the drivetrain, I cleaned everything up and then threw light oil on the chain.. I still got instant chain suck as soon as I pulled the bike into a wheelie and started pedaling. I find it strange that this would only be happening when pull the front end up and pedal.

Now... will any 104mm 4 bolt chainrings work for my M751 XT Crankset?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after more searching through the black hole of information that is MTBR, it seems like a well worn set of chainrings + new chain is a bad combo all around. I found quite a few posts about worn rings being replaced and eliminating many peoples issues with chain suck.

Mods, feel free to delete

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Worn chainrings and a new chain are usually a good recipe for chainsuck. But it can happen on a new drvietrain also. I have always used Shimano chainrings, but I installed a new drivertrain on my mountain bike using Raceface chainrings. I got chain suck occasionally when dropping into the granny. The cure was to debur the teeth as described by an earlier poster. I don't want to bash Raceface but I have never had chainsuck with a new Shimano setup.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Always replace rings,chain and cassette at the same time. If you want to go many miles on the same set-up get STEEL RINGS, the alu ones last me about 1000 miles, while the steel go 3000+ all on the same type chain.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Could be the chain he is using... Sram uses a 6.9mm Chain... while Shimano and KMC use a 6.6mm chain. I've seen shimano chain rings not work as well with Sram chains due to this. try a KMC chain if you want the powerlink.

Second-- How much wear in the chain rings too? I've seen it in very rare cases where people have really worn chain rings that should release at 6o'clock but don't because the channels were too wide and held on to the chain till 9o'clock... suck.

Like mentioned-- lots of burrs on the rings too. need to be filed off. Could be a combo of all the above.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
wyrm said:
Second-- How much wear in the chain rings too? I've seen it in very rare cases where people have really worn chain rings that should release at 6o'clock but don't because the channels were too wide and held on to the chain till 9o'clock... suck.
this sounds exactly like what I have happening. As soon as I allow gravity to assist the chain downward by pulling the front end of the bike up (wheelie) the chain continues to run the ring until about the 9oclock point in which it contacts the chainstay.

Well, I really should be replacing the chainrings anyway as I found 2 partially missin teeth, and a whole lot of wear on the granny and middle ring (middle was the worst.)

Now as for the rings I will be buying;
I will undoubtedly be replacing the granny and middle rings with current Shimano offerings (Big ring will be replaced eventually), but I just want to be sure about what size/spacing will work.

I have an older (01-03 IIRC), original Hollowtech Deore XT crankset; WIll any Shimano 4 bolt 104mm rings work? While looking through my TREK components catalog, I found a Shimano recommended direct middle ring replacement in steel, but there are tons of inner/big rings listed with what seem to be the correct spacing and diameter for the other rings, but they dont list my crankset as compatible. WIll any that are sized/space correctly work for me? Also, what inner rings are Steel? My catalog only lists the material used for a few rings. (Black = aluminum, Silver = Steel? )

Also, should I replace the chain again after I put in the new rings? I have no more than 4 hours of light riding on the chain so far. Maybe Im just looking for an excuse to get one of those blingtacular KMC gold links :) :p

Thank you all for the ideas and help.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
If you want steel get the 4 bolt deore set mine where black in color, both inner and middle are steel and they have the identical shifting ramps as XT. XT is Alu for both inner and middle. If the 2 missing teeth are opposite of each other thats standard for shimano rings. Remember to line up the middle ring on the tab mark at the crank to insure good shifting. Your chain should be fine. I run deore rings on a older LX hollowtech with a z9000 KMC with great results. Best bang for the bucks spent!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brown_Teeth said:
If you want steel get the 4 bolt deore set mine where black in color, both inner and middle are steel and they have the identical shifting ramps as XT. XT is Alu for both inner and middle. If the 2 missing teeth are opposite of each other thats standard for shimano rings. Remember to line up the middle ring on the tab mark at the crank to insure good shifting. Your chain should be fine. I run deore rings on a older LX hollowtech with a z9000 KMC with great results. Best bang for the bucks spent!!

DO you possibly recall what year/model of Deore rings they were and where you purchased them from? Or will any, including the 08/09 ringsets work?

From where I am ordering, I dont have the option of purchasing a "set" of rings. Instead I am forced to buy each individually, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. If I can find an entire set that will work for $40-50 or less, I would probably rather go that route instead of ordering each individually and possibly dealing with fitment issues.

And thanks for your detailed posts. It sure made this issue an easy fix (I hope! :thumbsup: )

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Bobby12many said:
DO you possibly recall what year/model of Deore rings they were and where you purchased them from? Or will any, including the 08/09 ringsets work?

From where I am ordering, I dont have the option of purchasing a "set" of rings. Instead I am forced to buy each individually, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. If I can find an entire set that will work for $40-50 or less, I would probably rather go that route instead of ordering each individually and possibly dealing with fitment issues.

And thanks for your detailed posts. It sure made this issue an easy fix (I hope! :thumbsup: )
I can't find a part number on the steel deore rings, pulled them off the BB still no number, this is from a 2000-04 LX hollowtech crankset, the LX has a steel granny and a alloy middle, XT has alloy granny (wears like butter). I got these rings for a dollar each at a swap meet. Can still be ordered bv a LBS using QBP or look around online. Also order the 3 dollar tool to take the rings apart, its not doable without that tool to grab the nut.

Jensons has the whole crankset for 59$:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CR308A01-Shimano+Fc-M470+Octalink+Crankset.aspx

Attachments

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
One trick to avoid chainsuck altogether is to add hockey tape and 2-3 ties wraps over it around the chainstay, close to the crank. You must leave say one inch of tie-wrap hanging and bend it in such a way that it prevents the chain from getting suck into your chainsstay without touching the rings.

Now you should still replace or file your rings but if this trick is done on a brand new frame it will avoid the frame being scratched!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts