Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
baka baka!
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

i've been having chainsuck issues involving the granny and the middle ring. when i drop down from the middle to the granny it jams. i shift...soft pedal and then it locks up :madmax: it prolly happens 1 out of every 5 times on very slight inclines. i have to get off my bike and backpedal by hand a bit to try to unlock it :madman: everything on my drivetrain is relatively new (low wear, no bent teeth, etc.) and i clean and lube my chain religiously. i also never ride in wet or muddy conditions. i have a '05 marin wolf ridge and the parts for my drivetrain are as follows: shimano xt 752 crankset, xtr m900 8spd cassette, xt 750 fd, xt 750 rd, and sram pc-68 chain, xt 740 shifters. i have read that the rotational alignment could be off on a crankset but what are the odds of that? could the action of my rear suspension have something to do with it? would having a shimano hyperglide chain make a difference? since there are slight raises on the shimano chain's plating, i speculate that it might hook up better to the grooves in the back of the chainring for smoother shifting. but what do i know? :confused:

thanks,

jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
try the 8sp shimano chain. could the granny be spaced too far from crank (speculating)? burrs on teeth causing hanging?
 

·
I Love my Rize
Joined
·
830 Posts
Sucky XT rings

x9typesh said:
hey everyone,

i've been having chainsuck issues involving the granny and the middle ring. when i drop down from the middle to the granny it jams. i shift...soft pedal and then it locks up :madmax: it prolly happens 1 out of every 5 times on very slight inclines. i have to get off my bike and backpedal by hand a bit to try to unlock it :madman: everything on my drivetrain is relatively new (low wear, no bent teeth, etc.) and i clean and lube my chain religiously. i also never ride in wet or muddy conditions. i have a '05 marin wolf ridge and the parts for my drivetrain are as follows: shimano xt 752 crankset, xtr m900 8spd cassette, xt 750 fd, xt 750 rd, and sram pc-68 chain, xt 740 shifters. i have read that the rotational alignment could be off on a crankset but what are the odds of that? could the action of my rear suspension have something to do with it? would having a shimano hyperglide chain make a difference? since there are slight raises on the shimano chain's plating, i speculate that it might hook up better to the grooves in the back of the chainring for smoother shifting. but what do i know? :confused:

thanks,

jon
Get rid of the junky worthless XT rings :nono: and get deore m510 steel rings for the granny and middle rings and say goodbye to chainsuck and they will last 10 times longer:thumbsup:

22t ring http://bicyclenut.net/page.cfm?PageID=53&action=details&sku=CR2997

32t ring http://bicyclenut.net/page.cfm?PageID=53&action=details&sku=CR2998
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
x9typesh said:
hey everyone,

i've been having chainsuck issues involving the granny and the middle ring. when i drop down from the middle to the granny it jams. i shift...soft pedal and then it locks up :madmax: it prolly happens 1 out of every 5 times on very slight inclines. i have to get off my bike and backpedal by hand a bit to try to unlock it :madman: everything on my drivetrain is relatively new (low wear, no bent teeth, etc.) and i clean and lube my chain religiously. i also never ride in wet or muddy conditions. i have a '05 marin wolf ridge and the parts for my drivetrain are as follows: shimano xt 752 crankset, xtr m900 8spd cassette, xt 750 fd, xt 750 rd, and sram pc-68 chain, xt 740 shifters. i have read that the rotational alignment could be off on a crankset but what are the odds of that? could the action of my rear suspension have something to do with it? would having a shimano hyperglide chain make a difference? since there are slight raises on the shimano chain's plating, i speculate that it might hook up better to the grooves in the back of the chainring for smoother shifting. but what do i know? :confused:

thanks,

jon
Wow, that is quite a mis-mash of 8 and 9 speed parts you have there. Definately not helping your cause! First off, your running and 8 speed chain on a 9-speed crank with 8-speed shifters and 9 spd FD. The chainring width is different from 8 to 9.

Change your chainrings from 9 to 8 spd. The FD isn't as big of a deal, you'll just have to live with less than great front shifting quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
dhpimp said:
Wow, that is quite a mis-mash of 8 and 9 speed parts you have there. Definately not helping your cause! First off, your running and 8 speed chain on a 9-speed crank with 8-speed shifters and 9 spd FD. The chainring width is different from 8 to 9.

Change your chainrings from 9 to 8 spd. The FD isn't as big of a deal, you'll just have to live with less than great front shifting quality.
I've been running A mix-n-match setup for years with no chainsuck whatsoever. For years I was using 9spd XT FD, 8spd XT RD, 8spd shimano chain(not sure which one) 8spd LX rapidfire, LX 8spd crankset. I had no problems here. Recently, I started updating my drivetrain piece by piece. I got a new XT 9spd RD and HG-93 chain, with the rest being the same. I still was fine. Now I added an XT 9spd Crankset to the mix. Still have no problems. This weekend I was riding in a fair amount of mud, and not once did I have Chainsuck. I cant remember the last time I had Chainsuck actually.

Also, I ride a hardtail, so linkage and geometry of the rear end is not a factor for me. But really the only thing in the actual drivetrain that is different than mine(at one time or another) is the chain.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
dhpimp said:
Wow, that is quite a mis-mash of 8 and 9 speed parts you have there. Definately not helping your cause! First off, your running and 8 speed chain on a 9-speed crank with 8-speed shifters and 9 spd FD. The chainring width is different from 8 to 9.

Change your chainrings from 9 to 8 spd. The FD isn't as big of a deal, you'll just have to live with less than great front shifting quality.
Actually the narrower chainrings should be less likely to suck. The "9-speed" front derailleur is a non-issue, too.
 

·
I Love my Rize
Joined
·
830 Posts
Me too

dhpimp said:
Wow, that is quite a mis-mash of 8 and 9 speed parts you have there. Definately not helping your cause! First off, your running and 8 speed chain on a 9-speed crank with 8-speed shifters and 9 spd FD. The chainring width is different from 8 to 9.

Change your chainrings from 9 to 8 spd. The FD isn't as big of a deal, you'll just have to live with less than great front shifting quality.
I'm running a mega 9 Deore with a sram pc 68 and sram 850 cassette with 8 speed centera 2002 shifters and it is butter smooth for over 3 years now. Mud, ice, snow and sand have no effect on it I also run 9sp lx front and rear m570 - Gold edition derailleurs
 

·
baka baka!
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies guys...i think i mite swap out the chain for a shimano and see if that's the answer to my problem. i think my fd is kinda screwy too or maybe it needs to be tuned. sometimes when i shift from mid to granny the chain just stays on the middle ring while rubbing on the cage. in those cases i usually just push the chain over manually. it's really frustrating but hopefully i'll find a solution soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
x9typesh said:
sometimes when i shift from mid to granny the chain just stays on the middle ring while rubbing on the cage. in those cases i usually just push the chain over manually. it's really frustrating but hopefully i'll find a solution soon.
Cause it's a 9spd FD with 8spd parts. You can bend the cage in a slight bit (at the inner protrusion) to help with the down shifting.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top