Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some chainstay guards like the lizard skins, etc. I have seen some bike son this site it looks like you guys use electric tape? Can I use that or how about like Hockey stick tape? Just wondering a real cheap option for a chianstay. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dude, I had the same question just last month and I didn't get a very good response from people...it was as if I just ask everyone what there favorite color was.

Anyway, I've since taken an old inner tube cutting it open and into a long narrow strip. tying it down with zip ties.....seems to work well. The hockey tape thing supposedly works well also.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
I used hockey tape for a while. Stays all in once peice, unlike electrical tape.
If you have a bike with multiple pivots, you can cut a tube to the length, then dismantle your pivot closest to the rear, then slide the tube onto the chainstay. Make sure it is a tight fit. This way, it won't unwind, and you don't have to use zipties, and it looks much cleaner.

·
Registered
399 Posts
tubed with knot

I tubed and knotted...no unwinding and clean, thick pad for the chainstay.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
i just cut up an old tire, works good but looks weird.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Heres a couple of shots of custom frame protectors as well as fork guards.
www.1waysigns.com is the link to the guys making them, the company is www.forkskinz.com coming soon. They do fork guards, chain guards, down tube decals stickers wide format printing etc.... Pretty slick. 10mil and heeavy duty.
Can make just about any design or take a photoshop design psd. eps. ai etc that you have and drop in on the templates or custom measurements.

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Hockey stick tape has been great for me. Cheap, works, and can be rolled on thick. Perhaps not so good if your're into the shiny bike bike look as it doesn't really clean up all that well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
tried grip tape for a day and it sucked
now i use a thin layer of inner tube and top it of nice and clean with electrical tape no need for zip ties and it looks great oh also tried 1 of those THE stick on things and that sucked too

·
Registered
387 Posts
self fusing silicon tape is the cleanest and best option I've found so far. just give it a bunch of wraps, leaves nothing on the chainstay, and it sticks to itself permanently.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Radio Shack spiral phone cord...

Tie a half hitch and wrap around the chainstay, tie another half hitch at the end, and cut. Viola!

Comes in many colors, cheap as sh*t, pretty durable.

My .02

Marc

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,996 Posts
yes you can use hockey tape.........but lizaed skins are cheap and look cleaner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts