Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used this black, phone chord-like wrap that wrapped around the chainstay and just stayed there. I cant find the dam thing now. any help?? thanks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I could not find the tape mentioned above, so i went to micheals (a craft store) and bought a roll of Velcro that is sticky on one side.

Works the same way as noted in the video above.

I note that many newer bikes come with sleeked fitted and labelled protectors.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a buddy who swears by Sugru. So far it's working for him. There's always the old tube wrap and then electrical tape seems to be popular. Most bike shops will carry the velcro chainstay protectors or can order them for you. I personally use a tube covered by duct tape that is the same color as my frame. I just got a NW front ring and the nicks from chainslap have greatly diminished. I'm thinking of taking the tube off and just using the tape.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can also use vinyl, the kind that vehicle wraps are done in, or other signs, but it's adhesive on one side in various strengths, and comes in many colors or could be printed on even. It's cheap, and quite pliable if you heat it up a bit while applying it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My local Home Depot in calgary did not carry this 3m tape.

Personally I don't like the tire tube, because it does not look overly clean - looks bulky.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My chainstay protector is one I made from Pre-preg carbon fibre.. It is almost as simple to do as the mastic one in the video you just need some Pre-preg, electrical tape or heat shrink tape, bubble wrap and an old hair dryer.

OK I have an advantage having pre-preg in my freezer. But it works well looks good and can be removed with a sharp knife.
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle accessory

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle chain Bicycle tire

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the 3M 2228 Mastic Tape. In addition to the protection, it "deadens" the noise from the chain hitting the stays. Other protectors don't do this as well, not even the old tube. Using this stuff will make your bike MUCH quieter. Plus, you can use it to cover your Zerk fittings, making it easier to grease up your bearings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.