Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me the differences caused by different chainstay lengths? What is the general range of chainstay lengths for a 17" 29er SS?? What are the differences in handling (I think shorter means quicker handling based on my pump track bike)? Which is more suitable for endurance riding/racing, shorter chainstays or longer chainstays? :???:
Englighten me please! Thanks!!!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
You can't just point to one single measurement on a bike to find out how it's going to handle. It's really a combination of the angles and lengths on a bike that make it respond a certain way.

That said, If you had two bikes with identical front triangle geometry, and identical BB drop:

Longer chainstays will be generally result in the front end of the bike feeling more planted, and more high speed stability.

Shorter chainstays will generally result in quicker handling and a little more 'twitch' at speed.

It all depends on how you ride, and what your background is. If you come from bmx(street/ramps/dirt jumping), trials, ds or dh, you'll might enjoy shorter chainstays.

If you come from road bikes or motorcycles, you might prefer longer chainstays.

But nothing is guaranteed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, thank you!! I understand that all frame dimensions affect handling. I was just curious about what differences chainstay length (all other things equal) would/could cause. Your response is what I suspected.....shorter=quicker and longer=more stable.
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether I've ridden bike(s) on either end of the spectrum. I've ridden a Surly, Sycip, and Spot. They all felt great. The Spot was the only 29. Probably the Sycip felt the best. Guess I oughta figure out what it's chainstay length was....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.